If it’s not obvious by now, I am a fanboy when it comes to GMT watches. And this is despite the fact – which John and Victor will gleefully point out – I really do not travel all that much these days. To them, I say “You do you, I’ll do me” and keep my GMT fires stoked up. Given that, it should be no surprise that the Armand Nicolet JS9-44 caught my eye.
Astute readers will realize that we went hands-on with the Armand Nicolet JS9 right here which really looks to be a very similar watch. So, on one hand, check out Victor’s review, and you’ll get a sense for the watch. There are some bigger changes here, of course. To get the GMT complication in there, the movement has been upgraded to a Sellita SW-330 automatic, and then the bezel has gone to one with a ceramic insert. There are a lot of color palette choices here, some with solid colors, and others with two tone (I am, of course, partial to the blue-black and blue-red bezels).
In terms of who might be looking for the Armand Nicolet JS9-44 GMT, this is one that is chock full o’ angles. By that I mean you’ve got a fairly blocky, angular case with the lugs and crown guard, and that certainly gives things a much different look than some of the more compact, rounded edge ones that I tend to fall for. In terms of pricing the Armand Nicolet JS9-44 GMT is a bit more of a lift from the prior one we looked at (again, that review is a good background read for this watch), with the price tag coming in at around $2,500. From what I see in the photos, I’m a fan, and I’m looking into getting a loaner in for a more in-depth review. armandnicolet.com
- Brand & Model: Armand Nicolet JS9-44 GMT
- Price: 2’500 CHF (~$2,500 USD)
- Who we think it might be for: You like your Swiss GMTs, and you like angles on your cases
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? Perhaps!
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It’s enough of a twist from standard design conventions for a GMT (while not completely breaking them) that it’s caught my eye
Tech Specs from Armand Nicolet
- MODEL: A486AGU-BU-MA4480AA
- Case and Buckle: Stainless Steel 316L with turning black & blue ceramic bezel
- Movement: Mechanical automatic movement with GMT functions; SW-330
- Dial: luminous indexes and hands
- Crystal: sapphire with AR coating
- Caseback: screw down
- Water Resistance: 30 ATM
- Diameter: 44 mm
- Thickness: 13 mm
- Dial: Blue
- Strap: Steel bracelet or rubber
- Buckle: Stainless steel 316L deployment
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team