A Kickstart Flyer on a Flieger
If you are in the market for a nice looking, sporty and inexpensive watch, the Rebel on Kickstarter (project page) may fit the bill. The specs are not overly impressive, though keep in mind that the watch is only 55 Pounds, which comes out to about $90 USD, including shipping. The watch is a mix of the classic Flieger A and B styles, with both the hour and minute markers of the B style, but the hours more prominent, as with the A.
The strap is a nice 1-piece NATO-style leather strap, which should make the watch look a little beefier than the 8mm case really is. They are offering both brown and black straps with the top pledge, so if you like to swap colors, the NATO style should make it easier to do so. Powering the watch is an unspecified Miyota movement, and the watch case itself is made of anodized stainless steel with a sapphire crystal up front. The watch is waterproof to 3ATM, so nothing more rigorous than washing your hands is recommended. The case comes in at 40mm wide, so it is going to be smaller than most modern watches, but a bit larger than those of previous generations. The markers and hands are all marked with lume.
On the whole, it looks like a nice watch to have in your collection if you are looking for an aviation style watch at a low price point. As with all Kickstarter projects, there is a chance you will pay your money and you will not like what you get, and there is always the possibility you will get nothing. There is also the possibility the project will not get funded, which would cost you nothing but your hopes and dreams. The project is out the gate at about 10% of the funding goal.
- Brand & Model: Attara Design Rebel
- Price: ~$91
- Who we think it might be for: Entry level watch buyer looking for an aviation themed watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Since I have 3 other aviation watches I regularly wear, probably not.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I would like to see more protection from the water, and with it, probably a beefier case
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The vintage looks mated with the strap.