Introducing the Eberhard Scafograph GMT
It really should be no surprise that I was drawn to the Eberhard Scafograph GMT that was just announced, should it? Then again, why should the addition of a relatively simple complication elevate a basic sports watch so much in my book? I have my reasons for it, most simply because it mixes up what would otherwise be a simple three-hander.
Then again, the Eberhard Scafograph GMT definitely came from a three-hander – the Eberhard Scafograph 300. In this implementation, the case is a different size, we have the GMT complication, and WR has been reduced (still a respectable 100m).
Aside from the GMT complication (courtesy of an ETA 2893-2), I was drawn to the relatively compact dimensions of the Eberhard Scafograph GMT. Yes, 43mm is not particularly small, but a case height of under 12mm is rather nice. The lug size is an odd duck, though, at 21mm – so make sure you order the strap or bracelet you really want, as that is a less common width for looking in the aftermarket for.
I also dig the fact that the Eberhard Scafograph GMT uses a ceramic insert. While simple aluminum or steel inserts get the job done, they just look and feel flat (full-metal bezels are a different story). So, as far as inserts go, I look for something special, and ceramic (with a lume pip) fills that check box in.
While I’ve yet to see an Eberhard watch in person, I must say, I really do like what I’m seeing with the Eberhard Scafograph GMT. A relatively slim steel sports watch with a GMT complication describes more than a few watches, and the design choices here and clear and crisp. So, yeah, the Eberhard Scafograph GMT is definitely a watch I could see as an everyday companion, going from casual to formal without much of a hitch. There is one hitch for this article, though – international pricing is yet to be announced; we’ll update this article once we have it. eberhard-co-watches.ch
Tech Specs from Eberhard
- Reference: 41038
- Movement: calibre ETA 2893-2
- Mechanical, automatic winding, date at 3 o’clock. Central seconds hand, GMT hand.
- Case: steel
- Diameter of the case: 43 mm
- Thickness of the case: 11,80 mm
- Strap attachment: 21,00 mm
- Case-back: in steel, screwed, personalised with an engraved hemisphere with time zones.
- Bezel: in steel with a ceramic insert, blue or black, rotating, bidirectional with luminescent mark at 12 o’clock. 24h scale.
- Water-resistant: 100 m
- Crown: in steel, screw-in, water-resistant, personalised with the “E” in relief
- Glass: sapphire, convex, with an anti-reflective treatment on the inner surface
- Dials: black or blue – combined with the bezel – galbé, with curved, applied indices, luminescent.
- Hands: GMT hand in orange or white colour – depending on the dial version – luminescent. Hours and minutes hands, “baton-type”, squelettes, luminescent. Central seconds hand.
- Integrated rubber strap, in black or blue, personalised with the “E” shield, emblem of the Maison.
- The inside is characterised by small shields that allow good transpiration.
- Buckle personalised E&C.
- Optional : deployment clasp Déclic® (Patented)
- Bracelet: Chassis®, in steel with deployment clasp Déclic® (Patented)