With SIHH behind us, and Basel around the corner, there are lots of beautiful, complicated, and intricate watches being introduced. But there is something really nice about a simple watch done well, and the Alpina Startimer Pilot Big Date Professional is a simple watch, done really, really well.
The watch is available in two variations, as a three hander with a small second hand at 6:00 or as a chronograph, with both versions sporting the namesake big date windows at 6:00. Geared toward pilots, both watches feature in-house high precision Swiss Quartz movements. The case is brushed 44mm diameter stainless steel, with a sapphire crystal and water resistant to 100 meters. The prominent crown (and the pushers on the chrono) look to be easily accessible even if you are wearing gloves. The watches are available on either a blue (three hander) or green (chronograph) leather strap or steel bracelet.
The dial is a deep blue with a sunray finish, with the sub dials set against a contrasting silver finish. The Alpina triangle shows up at 12:00 on both versions, and again as the counterweight on the central chronograph second hand in that version. The watches will be available from Alpina retailers starting in March (get your orders in now), or you can order from the Alpina’s webstore for select locations outside of the US. With the leather strap, the three hander will list for $995 and the chronograph will list for $1,150. The bracelet option will add $155 to the list price. alpina-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Alpina Startimer Big Date Professional
- Price: $995 for the 3 hander ($1,150 on the bracelet) and $1,095 for the chronograph ($1,250 on the bracelet)
- Who we think it might be for: If you want a non-Flieger style pilot watch..
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: The pricing of the models is a little out of my zone, but I would wear it..
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Add a mechanical Big Date version
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Simple and functional.
Tech Specs from Alpina Watches
- Movement: In house high precision movements, AL 280 in the three hander and AL 372 in the chronograph
- Functions: 48 month batter life, big date, small second hand, 1/10 second timing for the chronograph
- Case: Stainless steel
- Glass: Sapphire with AR
- Water resistance: 100 meters
- Lug width: Not specified
- Straps: Blue or green leather strap or stainless bracelet
- Diameter : 44mm
- Length: Not specified
- Case height: Not specified
- Weight of watch head: Not specified
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team