It seems to be that I am drawn in by classic designs, especially when they are well-executed in more compact packages. If you find yourself in the same boat, then the Archimede 1950’s is one you will want to sit up and take notice of.
Now, I have had the please of handling some different Ickler-design cases, and they have always been a treat. For this watch, they have executed the watch in a 39mm diameter. In keeping with the visually-small style, they have kept the case fairly thin, with a domed plexiglass crystal topping it off.
In a nod to modernity, there is an exhibition case back, through which you can see the 9015 movement working away (sidebar – this movement is so prevalent in small-make divers, it is almost a shock to see it in as small a watch as this!) Of course, that movement is rather modern, and should be plenty reliable.
Back on the dial side of things, you have simple stick indices contrasting against the dial (either black or silver), working in concert with the hand-curved handset to mark out the time. Make note of the simple date display cutout (thankfully with a color-matched date wheel), and you have all the functions the watch has on tap.
For those of us outside the reach of VAT, you can pick up an Archimede 1950’s for a price of $516 (415,97 €) (for those paying VAT the total will be $614 (495 €) ) on the strap, or on the mesh bracelet for about $100 more. Yes, this is a design that we have seen done time and again, and you have plenty of options. Every time I come across one, though, I cannot help but to want to bring it to your attention. While all manner of tool watches capture our attention (and most of our daily wear), there is something to be said for the elegant simplicity of a watch like the Archimede 1950’s for more refined outings. archimede-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Archimede 1950s
- Price: $516 (strap), $616 (bracelet)
- Who we think it might be for: If, like me, you are drawn to classic designs for a dressier every-day sort of watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Yes, this is very well-executed watch
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I am not quite sure what to suggest – this style of watch is what it is, and they have hit the right notes for it
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: After the design, it was the inclusion of the 9015 movement, which we are more accustomed to seeing in bulky divers