There are times where one can see a new watch and clearly pick up the inspiration behind the design, and there are other times where you just have to take the watch maker’s word for it. But regardless of if you see the link between the Brew Watch Company Special Blend watches and the espresso machines that inspired the design, what I see is an interesting new design of a watch case, something that actually is unique from a crowd funded project, not just a claim of individuality.
The 44mm wide case design is a rounded off square with a brushed stainless or PVD rose gold or black finish, stamped with the brand name. The dial itself has three elevations, with the chapter ring raised a bit and the chrono eye recessed. The Brew coffee bean logo is nicely done here as well. The pushers and the crown are all rose gold with accents to match (or complement) the case color, which adds a really nice detail to the watch that may not pop out immediately.
All three watches have a rose gold hand set, while the stainless features a cream dial (my favorite of the three) and the PVD watches have a black dial. The choro functions are there in small sub dials, but frankly I could have done without them for a cleaner dial. The Ronda 3520.D quartz chronograph movement also provides a date wheel, here at 3:00.
The watch project on Kickstarter runs through April 24, and they had a strong opening with almost 20% of their $35,000 goal reached in the first few hours of the project. Watch rewards are $275 for one, $540 for two, or $795 for three. I do want to repeat my warning that crowd funded campaigns are not retail purchases, watches can be delayed, the creators can run out of money before production is finished, and the final product may be different from what you see. But there are also nice elements to being a backer, you get to feel like you are part of the process of launching something new, and you get a nice little story to go with your watch, maybe something you can discuss when someone take notice of it over a cup of coffee. brew-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Brew Watch Company Special Blend
- Price: $275
- Who we think it might be for: You want a unique looking watch at an affordable price point.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: I don’t wear many quartz watches, so probably not, but I would consider the same case with an 3 hand automatic movement.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Ditch the chrono.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is not a cookie cutter watch like you see so much of in crowd-funding.
Tech Specs from Brew Watch Company:
- Movement: Ronda 3520.D quartz chronograph
- Functions: Two eye chronograph, date
- Case: 316L Stainless Steel w/ optional PVD rose gold or black
- Glass: AR coated flat sapphire crystal
- Water resistance: 5 ATM
- Lug width: 22mm
- Straps: Leather
- Diameter : 44mm
- Length: Not specified
- Case height: 11mm
- Weight of watch head: Not specified