Christopher Ward is one of our favorite brands here at WWR. They produce high quality watches, sell direct, and are generally priced fairly. They are also vary their designs, so there is something to fit most everyone’s taste, and they cover different sizes. Of late, we have featured their diving watches, a number of auto-inspired watches, and dress watches, but we haven’t done an aviation inspired watch in a while. I love my C11 (I own one of these), but the new Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Collection goes away from the instrument style case and back to the more traditional round case.
For the aviation cues, there is the diamond crown that we see on a lot of pilots, but the handset is reminiscent of the Hanhart and Tutima chronograph pilots watches, not the better know Flieger A and B styles. For me, that is not a bad thing, since it lends a little distinction and sophistication to the watch, dressing it up a bit while still maintaining the connection to history. The watch is offered in two case sizes, 44mm, and (the more historically accurate) 38mm, with a choice of quartz or automatic movement in either. You can also select a stainless or black PVD finish, and a number of strap options, for a total of 32 options in the full Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Collection. Just by comparing the images, I don’t see many differences between the quartz and automatic versions, save the “automatic” designation at 6:00 on the dial.
All the CW watches are Swiss made, and the movements in the automatic are either a Sellita SW200-1 or an ETA 2824, something CW picks based on stock on hand. Either one has a reserve of approximately 38 hours. The quartz is driven by the Ronda 715 movement. The larger case comes on a 22mm leather strap, while the 38mm is on a 20mm leather strap. All the cases are rated to 5 ATM, and have vintage radium looking Super-Luminova applied to the hands and indices. The watches are on pre-order, with delivery expected in late September. The automatics are $760 for the stainless finish and $825 for the PVD, while the quartz are $410 and $475 for the same options. christopherward.com
- Brand & Model: Christopher Ward C8 Flyer Collection
- Price: $410 – $825, depending on movement and case finish
- Who we think it might be for: You want an understated homage to historic aviators.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: The PVD automatic in 44mm on the honey strap is real pretty watch.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Lose the date window.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is a good mix of vintage cues in a thoroughly modern looking watch.
Tech Specs from Christopher Ward
- Movement: Sellita SW200-1/ETA 2824 in the automatic, Ronda 715 in the quartz
- Functions: 3 hander with date
- Case: Stainless Steel with optional black PVD
- Crystal: A/R coated sapphire crystal
- Water resistance: 5 ATM meters
- Lug width: 22/20mm
- Straps: Leather
- Diameter: 44/38 mm
- Case Height: 11.5/11 mm