With any new watch release, particularly one that is an iteration on a popular, existing model (or line) there’s a risk. Is it not like the original enough? Is it not different enough? There’s a fine line to walk there. Orient seems to be striking a good balance with their releases. And while I can’t claim to know every iteration of the Bambino, this fifth version of the Orient Bambino is certainly a looker.
You can tell from the narrow hands, Arabic numerals, and relatively thin case (12mm), all topped by a domed (mineral) crystal, this is a watch going for the look of watches from decades ago. In a simple design like this, it translates (for me) to a dressier piece. Perhaps not a full-on dress watch, but one that is definitely a good bit more refined than your favorite dive watch.
With a 40.5mm case (available in three finishes – silver, gold, and rose gold) this will be a watch with some presence, and in a color tone that should fit with what you normally look to wear. What you may not expect is the exhibition case back, which shows off the automatic movement. Those crystals aren’t as common in dress watches, but it’s always fun to see a balance wheel in motion.
With pricing starting at $315, this is an easy recommendation for someone who’s looking to get a dressier piece into their rotation, either for the office or for those occasions where you’re getting all dappered up. It’s a classic look, and one that won’t be out of place on your wrist a year or two down the road. orientwatchusa.com
- Brand & Model: Orient Bambino (v5)
- Price: $315 and up
- Who we think it might be for: You want classic, semi-vintage dress watch looks in an affordable automatic package
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? Indeed – the silver one would be a perfect every-day sort of a watch
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Wouldn’t it be sweet if those minute pips were all lumed? Then the hands would need some…
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: This is the sort of no-nonsense, affordable mechanical watch that is an easy recommendation for someone looking for a nicer, dressier piece
Tech Specs from Orient
- Case Diameter: 40.5mm without crown
- Case Thickness: 12mm
- Orient Caliber F6724 (Made in Japan)
- Self-Winding, hand-winding, seconds hand-halt mechanism (hacking)
- Vibrations: 21,600 VPH
- Jewels: 22 Jewels
- Power Reserve: 40+ Hours
- Functions: Date display
- Water Resistance: 30m
- Domed Mineral Crystal
- Leather Strap
- MSRP: Starting at $315
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team