If you’re thinking about energy sources and being eco-friendly, solar is absolutely one place your mind would go. I might argue that an mechanical movement is more eco-friendly (no manufacturing of solar cells and battery packs), but if you’re looking at quartz, rechargeable certainly beats replacing expendable batteries. That’s the position that the One Eleven Field Watch is taking.
On it’s surface, the One Eleven Field Watch is a fairly basic design. Clearly legible dial (in three colors), three-hander output, tucked into a 42mm steel case. The focus of the brand on eco-friendliness is where it begins to differentiate itself. Here, they call out that the steel for the case is made of 85% recycled material – a first for a brand (to state, if not actually use). Secondly, you’ve got the reliance on solar power, which we covered in the open. Finally, the watch is paired to a nylon strap which – while petroleum-derived – could certainly be recycled at the end.
Coming in at $125, the One Eleven Field Watch is a fairly inoffensive design, giving clean looks that wrap in the additional niceties (if you’re looking for the eco-friendly angles) of solar charging and recycled steel in the case. And, should you really want to go get lost outside with this watch, there’s a $255 kit that rolls in a flashlight, compass, shot glasses, and other things to help you while away the time. The One Eleven Field Watch may not be the flashiest solar watch in your kit, but it looks like it’ll be one that gets the job done with a minimum of fuss. 111watches.com
- Brand & Model: One Eleven Field Watch
- Price: $125 (or $255 for the VSSL Survival Kit)
- Who we think it might be for: You like the idea of a solar watch for the outdoors, but you’re not ready to go for the full ABC-watch look
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I?ve seen? If I didn’t already have a solar-powered watch, maybe.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: That handset could do with being a touch wider
Tech Specs from One Eleven
- Solar powered movement
- 85% recycled stainless steel, 42mm case
- Bio-plastic top ring
- rPet fabric strap, 22mm
- 10 ATM
- Hardened mineral crystal lens
Survival Kit Contents
- 42mm solar powered Field Watch
- Two shot glasses
- Drinking games
- Mini first aid kit
- All packaged in an indestructible, waterproof anodized aluminum case.