The Canadian watchmaker Hastings, has a new automatic “Heritage Edition” dress watch with a 40mm case and enamel dial that you are not going to read about in the Basel coverage.
The founders, Mark Ang, established their company in 2013 with their first watch in quartz. It demanded a mechanical counterpart, and so they delivered it in this new Heritage Edition.
My first impressions were that it looks a lot like any three handed watch with a date window at 6 o’clock. This looks like Christopher Ward dress watch except with a Japanese movement at a lower price.
The dress watch has your standard 316L stainless steel 40mm case, and it comes in two finishes: gold and silver. The polished finish draws attention and contrasts nicely between the two strap color options, which come with a butterfly deployment clasp. The case width is perfect and it has an ideal height, as well, at only 11mm high.
Through the double-domed sapphire crystal, you can see the white or black enamel dial with applied indices. The double-domed is a little confusing to me, and I wasn’t quite sure of the advantages. I’m sure it’s the in its strength. I don’t know if there is any visual distortion or glare from the doubling up. Since I didn’t see this in person, I’d be curious to know if it needs antireflective (AR) coating on it. Consider that option if you can get it.
The Dauphine-styled hour and minute hands are also polished and gold or silver to match the case. The second hand is a beautiful blue, and I’m guessing it’s painted and not traditionally “blued”. At the 12 o’clock position, there is one Roman numeral. The words, Hastings & Co, in black or white script are nicely sized and proportional to the dial without being too demanding on the design.
At 6 o’clock, the date window is framed in the polished case material. The date numeral is a black font on a white base. The date is simple and effective on either the white or black dial, although I like the contrast on the black dial.
Above the date window is the word “automatic” for its Miyota movement Cal. 8215. This movement has a vibration frequency of 21,600 vph and a 40 hour reserve. I’ve seen this movement in other watches I own and the -20~+40 seconds per day accuracy rating might have you adjusting the time ever other day if you use your Watchville app to synchronize to the rest of the world.
There is no luminescence, but that’s not a big deal for me. For this type of dress watch and cost, you can make it work too. You might consider the white dial to have more contrast to read the time in the low light.
The display or exhibition back is a pretty standard feature and this one is no different. They didn’t bother with customizing the rotor, and I’m sure it’s to keep their costs low. They did add the “H” on the crown which is a nice addition for the price.
I didn’t get to handle this watch, but this clearly has a strong showing with its 40mm case, enamel dial, automatic movement, and display case back, paired with a two year warranty and free shipping and returns. Check out its site to preorder and get it for $245. HastingsWatches.com
- Brand & Model: Hastings and Company Heritage Edition
- Price: $245
- Who we think it might be for: This is for the person who needs a dress watch, but doesn’t wear one all the time. Consider this an inexpensive option.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: I’m a fan of the vintage dress watches.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: The shape of the crown m
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: This is really a timeless design with some nice features for the prices including the enamel dial, display back, and butterfly deployment buckle.
- Brand Model: Hastings and Company Heritage Edition
- Movement: Miyota movement Cal. 8215
- Size of case diameter: 40mm
- Height of case: 11mm
- Weight: NA
- Case material: 316L polished stainless steel case
- Case Back: Exhibition case back
- Crown: Stainless steel
- Crystal/Glass material: Double-domed sapphire crystal
- Water resistance (m/ft/atm): NA
- Strap/Bracelet material: Genuine leather strap Butterfly deployment clasp
- Illumination: NA
- Warranty: 24 months