Just yesterday, Patrick wrote up the new TC-9 Navy which is available on Kickstarter. Pictures from the company are all well and good but nothing beats holding the actual product in your hands, and better yet, wearing it on your wrist. Fortunately for you, our connections to a lot of these new startups run deep, and we were able to go hands-on with this new watch. This is actually my second hands-on review of a TC-9. I also reviewed a nice TC-9 vintage bronze diver previously (here). Toby from TC-9 was kind enough to send me the new TC-9 Navy for review and – spoiler alert – I like what see.
This new TC-9 Navy is available in 5 dial options. We looked at the matte black California dial. This has a very minimal look with only and hour hand, second hand, and date. The face of the dial is all matte black with even the logo covered in matte black (it stands out a bit more on other options). One nice touch are the blued hands which add a nice but subtle contrast to the black dial. The dial itself is a sandwich dial with lume underneath.
This TC-9 Navy was made specifically to appeal to fans of the vintage Panerai look. What sets this one off from the other Panerai homage watches is the size. Measuring in at 42mm wide and only 9.5mm thick, this is a great size for everyday wear. Made of bronze, this case will take on a patina that’s unique to each watch. This watch wears very well and does not look large at all on my wrist. Sapphire crystal covers the dial as well as the exhibition case back. A nice touch on this one was PVD coated push-down crown which works perfectly with the black dial and black strap.
This TC-9 Navy gets it power from the reliable Seiko NH35A automatic movement. The movement has not been dressed up in any way, but it still looks good to me.
All the TC-9 Navy watches come with a leather strap, and they will also be offering up an additional NATO strap as a stretch goal on their kickstater campaign. This one I am reviewing came with the nato. This was very comfortable to wear and it not as bulky as some nato straps. Then again, with a simple change of straps this watch can easily go from a field watch to an office watch.
I have worn this TC-9 Navy for a few days now and I must say it has grown on me. It is very comfortable to wear all day and the size is perfect for my 6.5 in wrist. At only 9.5mm thick, this fit well under the sleeve. Right now the case still has the strong copper color but will darken when the patina builds up. Offering a well made bronze Panerai homage watch with an automatic movement, sapphire crystal, and exhibition case back is a great deal for only $206 USD. They are selling pretty quick so go check the out on Kickstarter.
- Brand and model: TC-9 Navy
- Price: $206
- Who’s it for: Panerai fans wanting something a but smaller.
- Would I wear it: For sure.
- What I’d change: Add a seconds hand. Like to see the sweeping of an auto.
- The best thing about it: Love the bronze.
- Solid Bronze Case – 42 mm wide, 9.5 mm thick. Classic cushion case reminiscent of the Navy dive watches of the 1940’s
- Seiko NH35A movement
- Scratchproof Sapphire Glass on the front and back of the watch.
- 10 ATM waterproof.
- 5 Dials options, including our unique and high quality solid brass dial used on our previous KS campaign – the TC-9 1950s diver. All dials are two piece sandwich dials and have a double coating of bright super lume
- Black PVD or Brass plated Crown.
- Leather Strap with solid brass buckle
- Watch posts from the UK. Postage costs based on actual cost via DHL to your host country. Posted by June 2017.
- Limited edition of 500 pieces