It seems like a minor trend that we have watches helping to raise funds for icy parts of the worlds (you can see the first one here). This one is commemorating the discovery of Antarctica, and is helping raise funds for preservation efforts in that part of the world. Introducing the Delma Oceanmaster Antarctica.
Ostensibly, the Delma Oceanmaster Antarctica is one you can actually go to Antartica with, as it was designed and built for Nick Moloney’s expedition there in February 2020, commemorating it’s discovery 200 years ago.
For the watch, the 200-piece edition of the Delma Oceanmaster Antarctica is very much a diver, with it’s 500m WR rating and helium escape valve (though I’m guessing you’d not want to be swimming in those waters). It has a definitely exploration bent to it, however, as you’ve got a compass bezel and “points of sail” markers on the dial.
Along with the icy blue dial of the Delma Oceanmaster Antarctica, you’ve got the continent engraved on the caseback as well. The brand states that a percentage of the sale price will go towards ASOC, though how much isn’t clear. That said, any amount towards a good charity is better than nothing. As I mentioned, just 200 pieces of the ETA 2824-powered watch will be made available, so move quickly if you want to snag one. delma.ch
- Brand & Model: Delma Oceanmaster Antarctica
- Price: $1,450
- Who we think it might be for: You’re wanting a diver, but something that’s a bit more exploratory in nature
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I?ve seen? While I do dig that dial hue, it’s got markings and functionality that just wouldn’t be used – so probably not the one for me
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Of all things, I really like the bracelet design – wish we saw more like that on tool/sport watches
Tech Specs from Delma
- Case & bezel
- Stainless steel case with brushed and polished surfaces
- Diameter: 44mm
- Thickness: 13.8mm
- Uni-directional rotating nautical bezel
- Screw-down crown
- Stainless steel case back with Antarctica engraving
- Water resistance: 500m; Helium Escape Valve
- Protected by AR-coated sapphire crystal
- Gradient blue dial with unique ice pattern
- Points of sail indicators and tactical planner
- Large luminescent Super-Luminova C3 indexes and hands
- Movement: ETA 2824
- Bracelet: brushed and polished stainless steel, safety clasp with pushers