In case you were not aware, the Alliance of British Watch and Clock Makers was founded in 2020 to bring together the various companies making watches and clocks in Britain, creating new partnerships. One brand in the group that you no doubt know is Christopher Ward, and they collaborated with another – Fears – to produce the limited-edition Fears Christopher Ward: Alliance 01.
For those not in the know (and we’ll admit, that includes us prior to this), Fears has been making watches in Britain since 1846. They did close down in 1976 (guessing it was that pesky quartz crisis not helping things), and was restarted in 2016 by the great-great-great-grandson of the original founder. So, a resurrection, but still in the family.
For this collaboration, things started with the Christopher Ward JJ01 jumping hour movement, which was then housed in a 40.5mm case that Fears designed. Under those lugs you’ll find a special set of hallmarks engraved that represent the Alliance, kicking off what is the first of (we expect) many more collaborations.
What’s the purpose of the Fears Christopher Ward: Alliance 01? Well, for one, it’s to bring more notice to the fledgling organization. The sales of these watches are also helping to raise money for the Alliance, to further the goal of supporting British watch and clockmaking.
The one potential fly in this ointment is that you must be a member of the Alliance to be able to purchase one of these 50 examples of the Fears Christopher Ward: Alliance 01. Good news, you don’t have to be a British watch/clockmaker to join up. You can be an enthusiast, or just a plain watch writer, that sort of thing. To sign up, it’s £55 per year, and then that should, we believe, put you in the pool to be able to purchase this watch. britishwatchmakers.com / fearswatches.com / christopherward.com
Tech Specs from Fears / Christopher Ward
- 316L stainless steel, 40.5mm cushion-shaped (depth 12.80mm)
- Closed caseback
- LUG WIDTH: 20mm
- MOVEMENT: Swiss made Sellita SW200 25 Jewel Auto Mod. JJ01
- GLASS: Sapphire Crystal to front with ARdur® Swiss anti-reflective coating on inside and outside
- Burgundy Red.
- Sunburst outer finish with concentric ring centre.
- Polished, bevelled, Rhodium-plated chapter ring.
- Silver printing
- HANDS: ‘Fears’ minute hand – Bevelled, diamond polished and Rhodium plated
- FUNCTIONS: Time (jumping hour on disc at 12 o’clock)
- WARRENTY: 2 Year guarantee from date of purchase
- STRAP: Oxblood Red, British calf leather, lined in Alcantara®, handmade
- SERIAL NUMBER: Individually numbered, sequentially
- LIMITED EDITION:
- Limited to 50 pieces.
- Engraved with a unique number on underside of lug from 1-50
- MODEL REFERENCE: BS240.500
- RETAIL PRICE: £3,950 inc. VAT (£3,291.67 ex. VAT)