Back in July 2015, we brought you word of a new line of watches from moVas, the Bronze Officer GMT. I was intrigued by the case shape, and was ensured by the brand that it would be showing up in other designs. Well, that day has come, as the brand just announced a rather beautiful addition to the line, the moVas Officer Blue.
As with the previous outing, this will be one of the more unique case shapes you have run across. It’s a sort of rounded-off square, and the bezel on this version takes a more traditional look. In the Bronze model, it was a flat octagon; here, on the moVas Officer Blue it is a standard, rounded bezel. Also of note, it appears that the case is fully polished, so this will definitely present as a much dressier watch.
While on the Bronze version, the case was the star of the show, with the moVas Officer Blue, I find it is the dial that has captured me. Of course, blue is my favorite color, but I think it is really set off nicely here against the crisp, raised indices and the polishing of the case. It is worth noting what an impact those indices doe have on the look of the watch. I’ve handled the Bronze version in person, and they do set up quite nicely, giving your eye another plane up from the surface of the otherwise flat dial. Wrapping things up with the color, it seems to be a shade that pairs quite nicely with both black and brown straps, so that is some welcome flexibility.
The moVas Officer Blue also features a customized day/date layout courtesy of the Seagull 2100 movement. Those customizations take the form of the font used, and then the placement on the dial itself. I’m intrigued by the split of the two data points, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the day display moved down above the date (so, almost a t-shape) as it would nicely balance the logo and Officer printing up at 12 o’clock. Just a minor thing, but it’s something that caught my imagination.
With the pricing coming in at $645 (which is a 10% discount on the retail price of $710) shipped, I find the moVas Officer Blue a very compelling watch. It is rather unlike anything you likely have in your watchbox at this point, and I think it’s giving you some great value. It’s a shame the GMT complication did not survive from the bronze version, but choices have to be made when things are being held to a pricepoint. Speaking of, only 50 of the moVas Officer Blue will be made. If you want to get your pre-order in, head over to this page to get the details on how to do that, and then of course let us know you have one on the way. movaswatches.com
- Brand & Model: moVas Officer Blue
- Price: $645 (full retail is $710)
- Who we think it might be for: You liked what moVas did with the Bronze Officer GMT, but want something in a less earthy color scheme
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Yeah, I could see that happening
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Put the day display above the date
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The dial
Tech Specs from moVas
- 316L Surgical Grade Stainless Steel polished.
- Case is 45mm across excluding crown guards, 49mm with both crown guard.
- 51mm lug hole- lug hole.
- 13mm height to top of bezel/ 14mm height including domed sapphire.
- Caseback: Exhibition caseback in stainless steel and colourless sapphire with deep etching. Numbered 01-50.
- Crown: Polished stainless steel crown to set time and day/ date. First click to set date (clockwise) and day(anti-clockwise). Second click to set time.
- Bezel: Polished stainless steel.
- Glass: Single domed european sourced scratch resistant sapphire with a slight pink hue. Single Anti Reflective coating applied internally. Flat american sourced scratch resistant colourless sapphire for caseback.
- Produced by Tianjin Seagull Watch Co. Ltd. Caliber 2100. 26 Jewels, beating at 28800bpm, 45H Power Reserve, featuring customised date disc at 6H, customised day disc at 3H.
- Day disc in English and Chinese characters. Customised skeleton rotor in black PVD and signed. Main plates perlaged. Antishock protection system on balance wheel. Hackable.
- Dial: Applied index dial on painted semi-gloss deep blue background, with white printing. Hand applied C3 Superluminova lume on applied indexes with polished silver rim.
- Hands: Double faceted Brass hands plated and polished silver and applied with C3 Superluminova lume.
- Strap/ Bracelet: Mid honey brown leather strap with off-white stitching and croc printed black leather strap with white stitching. Watch accepts 24mm wide straps.
- Buckle: Polished stainless steel Flush Type #01 and Brushed stainless steel sewn-in pre-V type #01
- Water Resistance: 10atm.
- Power Reserve: 45 hours, fully wound.
- Warranty: 2 year.