Time and again, there’s a singular type of watch that proves popular on Crowdfunding sites, particularly when a brand is starting out. That style, of course, is the dive watch. Sure, many brands pretend to go the minimalist route, but it’s really just a parts catalog exercise. When it comes to divers, you really do get a diverse look across brands. The latest, making a very colorful splash, is the Audric Seaborne 500.
While I am by no means an expert on vintage dive watches, the Audric Seaborne 500 really gives me the 60s/70s vibe in terms of the overall look. You’ve got the case that’s sort of an angled/chopped off take on a cushion case, with solid end-links that get you into the approximation of an integrated bracelet (but actually allowing you the flexibility to change out straps should you want to). For me, the real star here is on the dial.
For the color hounds, you’ve got a lot of color options on the dial itself – black, red, green, teal, and cream, with coordinating bezel inserts as well. However, there’s another minimal color splash that pops in via the chapter ring. This is ostensibly for timing decompression phases (IIRC), but again, gives you that vintage look and feel. And you know, I just like that extra bit of color in there, which really pops out quite nicely against the black dial.
If you’ve been following along with the dive watch waves (and what a sustained wave it’s been!) on crowdfunding sites, you’re used to see a whole host of inexpensive movements (usually Miyota) to help keep costs down. Here, the Audric Seaborne 500 definitely bucks that trend. ETA? No thank you – they’ve taken their ball and gone home, as you know. No, here, we’ve got what I’m seeing as a the new belle of the ball, Sellita. In this case, it’s the Sellita SW-200 doing timing duties (similar to the one we saw in COSC-grade from CW) giving you the hours, minutes, second, and date.
Spinning over the sunray pattern dial of the Audric Seaborne 500 you’ve got a suitably chunky handset that pick up the same width of the main indices on the dial, which look like they should give you a good dose of legibility in the daylight. Lume is courtesy of the SuperLuminova, so that darkness visibility should be decent as well (but we’ve not seen a true lumeshot as of yet). So, how much would you pay for this Swiss-powered retro chonky boi? If you guess $600 you are right on the money, because that is where the super earlybird pricing is pegged to start. The launch date is a little unclear (it may be today); however, you can go to their site to sign up and be notified once things go live. audricwatches.com
- Brand & Model:?Audric Seaborne 500
- Price:?super earlybird pricing starts at $600
- Who we think it might be for:?You want a fresh take on the 60s/70s era dive watches
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen??If I wasn’t set for a dive watch already, perhaps
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be:?I wouldn’t mind setting a challenge for the 2nd gen – see what you can do to slim it down!
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:?A small detail – the colorful chapter ring
Tech Specs from Audric
- SS 316 L case : 43 mm * 51 mm.*
- Thickness : 15.4 mm including the crystal.
- Crystal : 4.5 mm
- Lug width : 22 mm.
- Screwed case back with watch specs
- Screw down crown with logo etched. Logo filled with white luminous ( BGW9 )
- 120 clicks unidirectional sapphire bezel filled with BGW9.
- Domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflection coating 5 layers.
- 50 ATM WR (500m)
- Helium Escape Valve @ 9H
- Sunburst pattern Sandwich Dial (minute markers in C3 Lume) with Matt background (Colors : Green, Light Blue, Gray, Deep Black and Cream Dial) and Applied indexes Rhodium plated ( filled with white luminous BGW9 ).
- Rhodium plated hour, minute and seconds hands filled with white luminous (BGW9 ).
- SS 316 L bracelet with diver ratchet buckle and extender.
- Solid end links on the fitted bracelet with screws in the links for easy sizing.
- 22 mm at the lugs and 20 mm at the buckle.
- SW 200- 1 Incabloc and Elabore Execution.
- Adjusted to 5 positions. Documented.
- SWISS MADE.