For watches, many times we see the same movements, over and over again, in a variety of watches. And you know, that’s just fine, as that scale gets your reliability and serviceability (much like the same drivetrain showing up in different cars). But, if a watch brand wants to do something different – and happens to be part of the Swatch Group – then they can whip up a new movement specifically for the watch, like what was done for the Hamilton Intra-Matic Chronograph H.
Then again, it wasn’t completely out of thin air – the Hamilton Intra-Matic Chronograph H is inspired by the Chronograph A and B of 1968. One might call the design vintage, I view it as a sort of timeless look that we’ve come to expect of a bi-compax chronograph. The movement, the H-51, offers up a 60-hour power reserve even while running at a 4Hz frequency. From what I was able to read up on, this movement started out as a Valjoux 7753, though without the automatic winding, and some other upgrades in the components.
All of this is tucked into a 40mm case that comes in at 14.35mm thick. Not quite a puck, but it’s manageably thin for a mechanical chronograph. And frankly, if you’ve had any sort of 300m (or more) dive watch on your wrist, this should not feel that out of the normal. Dial design, in cream or black, is very vintage, with stick hands, classic style pushers (don’t activate them under water, please), and just an all-around classic look to things.
While chronographs aren’t my thing, I can appreciate Hamilton taking the effort to build up a movement that brings things closer to the original that they’re drawing inspiration from. You can pick up the Hamilton Intra-Matic Chronograph H for $2,045 on the leather strap or $2,095 on the steel mesh bracelet. hamiltonwatch.com
Tech Specs from Hamilton
- 40mm stainless steel
- Thickness 14.35mm
- Lug width 20mm
- Dial Black dial with white subdials
- White dial with black subdials
- Nickeled hour and minute hands with Super-LumiNova®, white lacquered central chronograph hand
- Nickeled hour and minute hands with Super-LumiNova®, black lacquered central chronograph hand
- Movement H-51 mechanical chronograph movement with 60-hour power reserve
- Black calf leather strap with pin buckle
- Stainless steel mesh bracelet with folding clasp
- Glass: Sapphire crystal with double anti-reflective coating
- Water resistance: 10 bar (100 m)