If you didn’t see any pictures, and I told you another thin (under 7mm) quartz-driven watch hit Kickstarter, you would probably be on to the next article without a second thought. Fortunately, we do have images, and as you can see there up above (and down below), the Maen Manhattan is not your average watch hitting those crowd-funded shores these days.
To me, there is certainly something of a timeless appeal to a dress watch, which is definitely what I consider the Maen Manhattan (whether in 2-hander or moonphase variety). You have a polished case, indices, and handset, set over a black dial, all paired to a black leather strap (with curved spring bars and a deployant clasp). So, yeah, this is a dress watch for sure.
I mean, just look at the polished (and flat) bezel and polished lugs. Dressy, no? And perhaps a fingerprint magnet, so thankfully, the sides of the case are brushed (which then also picks up the circular brushed finish of the dial). Still not convinced? How about those curved spring bars? Not only is that something you do not normally see on the more affordable watches, it gives a greater look of fit and finish to the overall watch when it peeks out from underneath your shirt cuff. And, for those dress watch purists, the lack of a date window is definitely a plus.
So, now, for what is likely the sticking point for many with the Maen Manhattan – the movement. Sure, it’s quartz, a Swiss-made Ronda 762. Frankly, though, if you’re just looking to get a second watch to wear for those less-than-frequent times you find yourself dressing up, there is nothing wrong with quartz. It will be accurate, and it will be ready and willing to go whenever you pick it up. That diver may be great for work, but when it comes to suiting up, something a bit more elegant is the order of the day.
The Maen Manhattan just launched on Kickstarter, and early bird pricing starts at $192 ( €175) for the two-hander, and $202 (€185) for the moon phase variant. For both, you have a choice between the steel finish, or a gold-tone; pricing remains unchanged. We have not seen a Maen Manhattan in person, so we cannot speak to the build quality in person, but the photos do do it great justice. As with anything on the crowdfunding platforms, our advice remains the same – do your research, and caveat emptor. project page
- Brand & Model: Maen Manhattan
- Price: Earlybird pricing starts at $192
- Who we think it might be for: You don’t have a dress watch yet, and want something affordable to fill out the watch box
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? It’s a good look – I could see that happening, yes.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Curious what a more “sterile” dial would look like, maybe ghosting the dial text on there, or printing it in black ink.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The interplay of the polished elements on the front of the watch
Tech Specs from Maen
- Case: 40mm (7mm thick); 316L Stainless Stee
- Crystal: sapphire with AR coating
- Movement: Swiss-made Ronda 762
- Dial: black with a circular brushed finish
- Strap: 20mm; Italian leather with a butterfly clasp