If you recall, it was not all that long ago that we were talking to you about the Oak & Oscar Humboldt, and it’s trip to the Olympics on the wrists of the US Men’s Curling Team. While the original version has been around for over three years, there’s a new one hitting the streets – the Oak & Oscar Humboldt GMT.
In many ways, the Oak & Oscar Humboldt GMT looks much like the non-GMT version that preceded it. Case dimensions are identical, the dial looks mostly the same, and even the clicky bezel is still in place. These are all very good things, as I felt the original Humboldt got a lot of things right.
The big visual changes for the Oak & Oscar Humboldt GMT would be on the bezel (24-hour instead of 12-hour), the inclusion of a new hand (to track the GMT time) and the 24-hour scale printed on the chapter ring. So, that means, yes, you could track three different time zones if you were so inclined between the main handset, the GMT hand, and the uni-directional bezel.
Tucked into the 39.5mm case is the Sellita 330 enabling the GMT complication, and of course giving you that taste of Swiss in a watch that calls Chicago home. It also gives you a quick-set ability on the GMT hand (not the hour hand). For the Oak & Oscar Humboldt GMT, there are three dial colors coming – blue, black, and white. The darker dials are lumed as you would expect, but the white dial mixes thing up. The numerals are not luminous, but the center ring picks up the glow in their place.
One other change that the Oak & Oscar Humboldt GMT has from its predecessor is on the bracelet. Here, there’s a new clasp, with a 6-position quick adjustment to give you a bit more wrist room when you need it. Orders are being taken now, with launch prices of $1,825 on the strap or $1,985 on the bracelet offering some small discounts, with delivery being anticipated for the second quarter. I felt the original Humboldt was a perfect watch, and now the inclusion of a GMT movement makes it perfect for me. If you are in agreement, head on over to Oak & Oscar and check things out.
Tech Specs from Oak & Oscar
- Sellita SW330-2 automatic 25 jewel mechanical Swiss movement
- Anti-magnetic enclosure
- Anti-shock bumper technology
- 56-hour power reserve
- 28,800 bph / 4 Hz
- 316L Stainless steel
- 39.5mm case diameter with 40.0mm bezel
- 24-hour, 120 click bi-directional bezel with ceramic ball bearings
- 20 ATM water resistance (200 meters)
- 12.5mm case height
- 20mm lug width
- 46.8mm lug-to-lug
- Double-domed sapphire crystal with multi-layer anti-reflective coating
- Sandwich dial with Super-LumiNova BGW9
- Available in white, navy or black
- Color-matched date wheel with custom typeface located at 6 o’clock
- Nylon strap with orange stitching and matching signed hardware
- Canvas watch wallet
- Two-year limited warranty
- Portion of profits donated to local Chicago dog rescue, One Tail at a Time
- On bracelet, MSRP $2125, limited time launch price $1985
- On leather, MSRP $1925, limited time launch price $1825