You know me – if Shinola is talking about a new model, well, I?m at least taking a peak. We?ve talked about their Detrola lineup before, which brings colorful designs (and a resin case) to the table. Well, this time around, they?re pairing up with an iconic part of childhood, and introducing the Shinola Detrola Radio Flyer.
Fun fact – March 25th is also known as National Little Red Wagon Day, so yes, we’re a little late. But “in these uncertain times” – as the TV ads tell us – does it really matter? Go ahead and give that little red wagon some love! Or, perhaps you no longer have one, or never had one, but want to recapture some of that fun of getting pulled along on the way to a summertime parade or picnic.
Obviously, red is the color du jour for this watch, but perhaps not as splash as you might have thought. You?ve got the silicone strap in Radio Flyer red, of course, but the resin case is actually in black – which sort of gives it the look of the wagon wheels when taken in conjunction with the white dial. Everything on the white dial (apart from the numerals) is in red as well, and then the final Rouge River hit shows up on the seconds hand. And just in case there?s any question of what this special edition is all about, you?ve got the Radio Flyer logo on the lower portion of the dial.
Tucked into that case, you?ve got the well-known (at this point) Argonite 705 quartz movement, which should provide years of reliable timekeeping and usage, sort of like those red wagons this one is honoring. If you?re wanting to get one of these Shinola Detrola Radio Flyer editions onto your wrist (perfect for pulling your own little ones along in the wagon), only 370 of them are available at $395 so you?ll want to head to your local Shinola storefront – or their site – sooner rather than later. shinola.com
- Brand & Model: Shinola Detrola Radio Flyer edition
- Price: $395
- Who we think it might be for: You have a soft spot in your memory for the little red wagon
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? No, probably not
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Put a cap on the center spindle to remind of what covers the axle insert on the wagon wheel
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Light weight, affordable, and a clean design.
Tech Specs from Shinola
- Case: 43mm, made of TR90 resin
- Strap: silicone, quick release
- Movement: Argonite 705 quartz
- Crystal: K1 mineral
- Limited edition: 370 pieces