If you stick around long enough, everything old becomes new and hip again, and now it is the pocket watch’s turn. And keep in mind, the very first wrist watches for the masses were just pocket watches with lugs, so it seems only fitting to circle back to our roots. Of course, the Itero Pocket Watch, currently funding on Kickstarter, updates those roots in some modern ways.The first modern touch is the inclusion of a modern Swiss quartz movement. Sure, I would prefer an automatic, maybe even a hand wound movement, but the quartz keeps the price down, with early bird watches offered at a pledge of $89. The watch also has a clean look (though I don’t care for the olive leaf wreath in the center), with only two hands in the 44mm stainless case supplied with a flat sapphire crystal up front. The watch is also very slim, 8mm, so it will fit easily in the pocket of most skinny jeans.
Another nice feature is that a stand is being offered as an option with the watch. The stand is an attractive way to turn the pocket watch into a desk or bedstand clock when you don’t want to take the watch with you. The stand is packaged in the $129 pledge, which is the one to go for if you want the base (it is sold separately, but you only save $1 as an add on to the least expensive early bird watch). As with all crowd funded projects, my standard warning is that you are supporting the development of a watch, not making a retail transaction, so do your research on the project before you decide to jump in. But having said that, there is nothing in this package that can not be developed and offered at this price. Even the time frame seems reasonable. If you like the project (or if you don’t), and especially if you back it, I invite you to post a comment below. iterowatch.com
- Brand & Model: Itero Pocket Watch
- Price: ~$89 to $129, depending on timing and if you want the stand
- Who we think it might be for: You’re a hipster.
- Would I wear one myself based on what I’ve seen?: If I ever wore a suit on a regular basis, I might break it out from time to time.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I think 44mm is a little too small. A 50mm case would be a good size.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: I like the clean look.
Tech Specs from Itero:
- Movement: Swiss Ronda Quartz
- Functions: Two hands
- Case: Stainless steel (optional black or gold PVD)
- Crystal: Flat sapphire
- Water resistance: 3 ATM
- Lug width: NA
- Straps: PVD plated brass watch chain
- Diameter: 44mm
- Thickness: 8mm