Sometimes we look for the next cool watch and overlook a well made, but not overly exciting watch. I am not going to say I overlooked the Brigadier, but it did take me a little while to get to writing about it. And it is a watch worth writing about on its own, since the Mercer Watch Company Brigadier on Kickstarter is a pretty three hander that looks like it is well designed and made, even if it is not super exciting.
The project launched a little while ago, and it took off very fast, already surpassing (by a large margin) the funding goal with a month yet to go. The 42mm watch is powered by the Miyota 9015 automatic, a workhorse that is very common at this price point (under $300). There are some nice touches included in the design, such as the Guilloched patterning on the dial, the mix of polished and matte surfaces, the sapphire crystal, the suede 22mm strap, and the deployment clasp. The first stretch goals have already been reached, so backers can choose an exhibition caseback or the engraved original design, and the rotor is now going to be decorated.
Overall it looks like a really nice package that would work great for a casual watch, or even for a workplace where you are not in a suit and tie. The suede strap looks like it will wear with some personality, the lume looks likes like it is nice and readable, the dial has enough elements at different elevations to give it depth, and I have definitely come to appreciate deployment clasps. At $229 to $249 for one watch, this really offers a lot of features for not a whole lot of money. As always, there is a risk with crowd funded projects, so do your own homework, but the product looks solid from here. If you have another opinion, want to weigh in, or are a backer, go ahead and comment below. mercerwatch.com
- Brand & Model: Mercer Watch Company Brigadier
- Price: ~$229 – 249 (depending on timing)
- Who we think it might be for: Anyone who wants an non-sports attractive daily wear watch.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Yes, I think it is good looking, especially in white.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Let backers choose the strap color (and maybe offer both as a stretch goal).
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The blued second hand, especially against the white dial.
Tech Specs from Mercer Watch Company:
- Movement: Miyota 9015 Automatic
- Functions: Three hander with date
- Case: 316L Stainless Steel
- Glass: AR coated Sapphire Crystal
- Water resistance: 10ATM
- Lug width: 24mm
- Straps: Sueded leather w/ deployment clasp
- Diameter : 42mm
- Length: 50mm
- Case height: 12mm
- Weight of watch head: Not specified
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team