MEW Tactical has a tough watch they want to put on your wrist. Want to arm wrestle for it? Seriously, HYDROFORCE X1 sounds like an action figure and cartoon series from my youth, like an A-Team for boats. MEW sounds like a kitten. But there’s nothing kitten-like about this watch.
MEW HYRDROFORCE X1 is intended to be simple, tough, combining the lugs on the caseback as a unit, with a large fluted case, that’s inspired by a fluted revolver chamber barrel, or perhaps a submachines gun. The information they sent us mentions both.
- Brand & Model: MEW Hydroforce X1
- Price: Earlybird pricing starts at $Web pre-orders price USD473(pre-order introduction price valid through end of October 2016)
- Who we think it might be for: You want a tough watch, with handcrafted care
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Not yet, the case shape is interesting to me, though.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I want to see it on its bracelet – the lugs seem very flat, not following the shape of the wrist, and the bracelet has me curious.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The back and lugs as a unit is a good way to get my attention.
Tech Specs from NAME
- Case size: 42mm (50mm lug-to-lug), 12.2mm thickness
- Case material: 316L combination two part case. Upper body brushed/stone washed, lower lug-backlid platform sandblasted. Engaged using 6 allen ss bolts. With ILCS & IDGS Technologies.
- Crystal: flat, sapphire
- Strap: leather, nato, rubber, or stainless steel bracelet
- Movement: Modified Miyota 8215 with 40 hours reserve