MEW Tactical has a tough watch they want to put on your wrist. Want to arm wrestle for it? Seriously, HYDROFORCE X1 sounds like an action figure and cartoon series from my youth, like an A-Team for boats. MEW sounds like a kitten. But there’s nothing kitten-like about this watch.
MEW HYRDROFORCE X1 is intended to be simple, tough, combining the lugs on the caseback as a unit, with a large fluted case, that’s inspired by a fluted revolver chamber barrel, or perhaps a submachines gun. The information they sent us mentions both.
The dial has rounded rectangle markers at 3,6,9, with circles at all others, excepting the 12 which has an inverted chevron marker, which MEW calls a Sergent sign. They’re mistaken; Sergents are three chevron, pointing up.
The lume appears to be bright, even lighting up the chapter ring and reflecting off of it. The chapter ring is a minute track that rises above the dial, with every 5 minute mark drawn in red, in contrast to the black indices between them. The watch is made of all stainless steel, powered by a Japanese automatic movement, and suitable for 200 M water resistance. The case is said to be partially handcrafted, and the movement is a Modified Japan Miyota Automatic 8215. I’m not certain how the movement has been modified, but that’s what I’m told. Want a tough watch? Maybe MEW HYDROFORCE X1 can help you! Go, HYDROFORCE X1!
- Brand & Model: MEW Hydroforce X1
- Price: Earlybird pricing starts at $Web pre-orders price USD473(pre-order introduction price valid through end of October 2016)
- Who we think it might be for: You want a tough watch, with handcrafted care
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Not yet, the case shape is interesting to me, though.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I want to see it on its bracelet – the lugs seem very flat, not following the shape of the wrist, and the bracelet has me curious.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The back and lugs as a unit is a good way to get my attention.
Tech Specs from NAME
- Case size: 42mm (50mm lug-to-lug), 12.2mm thickness
- Case material: 316L combination two part case. Upper body brushed/stone washed, lower lug-backlid platform sandblasted. Engaged using 6 allen ss bolts. With ILCS & IDGS Technologies.
- Crystal: flat, sapphire
- Strap: leather, nato, rubber, or stainless steel bracelet
- Movement: Modified Miyota 8215 with 40 hours reserve
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team