The Commander line from Mido is by no means a new line, but their latest release in it is very definitely an eye-catcher. Far from just it being the dial color, something about the proportions of the Mido Commander Icône feel simultaneously spacious and well-proportioned.
Now, first things first – the Mido Commander Icône is sporting a 42mm case. A touch larger than we’ve been liking these days, but it’s by no means a gigantic watch. Here, the integrated “lugless” design should help the watch Jedi Mind Trick it’s way into appearing smaller, while you get the advantage of that big, spacious dial.
Then again, that dial on the Mido Commander Icône is notable, as it’s one of the only (if not the only, so long as my memory serves) olive green dial in the Mido lineup. Sure, I like a good blue dial, but green is a good change of pace, particularly if you like fitting your watch to the season of the year. That chapter ring goes up to the sapphire crystal, and enhances the look of the watch being all dial, which is further supported by that narrow polished bezel.
Tucked inside the Mido Commander Icône, and taking care of the time and day/date complications is the Mido Caliber 80. This, as we know by know, means you get an impressive 80-hour power reserve. In this case, the movement also carries a COSC rating, ensuring the accuracy of this silicon balance spring movement.
Finally, rather than being paired to a milanese (aka mesh) bracelet, the Mido Commander Icône has a solid link keeping things sturdily on your wrist. If you want to pick one of these up for your spring and summer approach to life, they’re available now for $1,240 direct from midowatches.com
Tech Specs from Mido
- Automatic Mido Caliber 80 Si (ETA C07.821 base), COSC-certified chronometer, 11½’’’, Ø25.60 mm, height: 5.22 mm, 25 jewels, 21,600 vph, silicon balance-spring, decorative disc with Si logo on the balance bridge. Finely decorated chronometer movement with blued screws, oscillating weight decorated with Geneva stripes and Mido logo. Functions: HMSD+Day. Adjusted in 5 different positions for high accuracy. Up to 80 hours of power reserve.
- Satin-finished stainless steel, Ø42 mm, 3 pieces, faceted and domed sapphire crystal, screwed transparent case back revealing the finely decorated chronometer movement, water-resistant up to a pressure of 5 bar (50 m / 165 ft).
- Stainless steel, satin-finished integrated strap.
- Olive Green, sunray satin-finished, polished applied indexes with white Super-LumiNova®, day and date at 3 o’clock.
- Flat diamond-cut hour and minute hands with white Super-LumiNova® for easy readability at night, flat diamond-cut seconds hand.