All the way back in 1962, Rado introduced a case design that was quite bold, and has become a bit of an icon over the last 60 years. While the DiaStar line has has a number of bold case shapes, the elongated oval has been in their lineup over the decades (though the 80s saw no new model of it). To make 60 years, we’ve now got the Rado DiaStar Anniversary Edition.
While the case is the big attraction for the Rado DiaStar Anniversary Edition, what really settles this watch into an era 60 years gone is the faceted sapphire crystal. Today, we’re used to our crystals being nice and smooth, maybe just domed at best. This sort of angular treatment on the crystal adds a ghosted architecture to things that really sells the design.
In terms of other details, I’m the most curious about how the Rado DiaStar Anniversary Edition does it’s day-of-week indication. That’s what that stripe running from the center pivot down to the date window is, you know. Might take some getting used to, but once settled, it’s another of those unique elements that the owner of the watch will no doubt appreciate.
If you want to pick up a Rado DiaStar Anniversary Edition, it’s going for $1,950 (and appears to be sold out at the moment). You could also take a peak at their DiaStar Original lineup, with prices going from $500 – $1,400. Check them all out directly at rado.com
Tech Specs from Rado
- Rado calibre R764 (gold plated), automatic, 25 jewels, 3 hands, date and graphical day display with 2 colour scheme in grey or natural colour Super-LumiNova® at 6 o’clock, 80-hour power reserve, antimagnetic NivachronTM hairspring, exceeds standard test requirements from 3 to 5 positions for higher accuracy
- Polished CeramosTM bezel radially-brushed conical external surface Polished stainless steel middle part
- Polished stainless steel crown, with matt anchor symbol
- Hexagon facetted sapphire crystal anti-reflective coating on inside face Polished stainless steel case back
- Special engraving on case back: DIASTAR ORIGINAL 60-YEAR ANNIVERSARY EDITION, DESIGN ALFREDO HÄBERLI
- Water-resistant to 10 bar (100 m)
- Metallic grey, circular brushed
- Dot indexes filled with natural colour Super-LumiNova®
- Silver coloured moving anchor symbol on metallic grey background Grey printed Rado logo
- Rhodium coloured with natural colour Super-LumiNova® Rhodium coloured second hand with blind hole
- EasyClip system
- Satin brushed stainless steel “Milanese”, polished sides, satin brushed cover with polished openers
- Additional grey textile strap, satin brushed stainless steel extendable folding clasp and polished pushers
- Dimensions: 38.0 x 45.0 x 12.3 (WxLxH in mm)