Across the range of Tag Heuer watches, I’ve felt the most drawn to the Aquaracer line. It’s got that classic diver look with just enough to make it stand out, be identifiably Tag, and stand out from the other big brands. Then we come to something solar-powered, and you truly have my interest. Meet the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Professional 200 Solargraph.
Now, sure, we’re big fans of mechanical movements. After you have a few, though, you want something different in the movement category. And for me, a solar movement is the ultimate in an outdoors watch (be it hiking, camping, or just doing yard work), and I think everyone should have at least one. Why? Well, two minutes in the sun powers it for the day, and 20 hours of sunlight will have it run for 6 months (with no further charging needed in that time). Basically, it’s always ready to go, and you’re not worrying about a battery dying or the movement unwinding while you’re out and about. This movement also nets you a 5-year warranty, which means Tag is standing behind it.
For me, the movement is the big story about the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Professional 200 Solargraph. However, the case that wraps around it is just as tasty – 40mm and made of a sandblasted titanium (giving it a rougher texture), with a titanium timing bezel done up the same way. Paired with a titanium bracelet and a black dial, you’re ready for anything.
One other thing I want to point out is the luminous paint they’ve used here. While most of the things are done up in long-lasting green, the minute hand is done in a blue, helping it stand out more as you’re timing things in dimmer conditions. In other words, the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Professional 200 Solargraph has a lot of highlights in the “plusses” column for me. Then again, at $3,050, it’s not likely to end up in my watch box anytime soon. Still, perhaps one day. Check out the details over at tagheuer.com.
Tech Specs from Tag Heuer
- Reference: WBP1180.BF0000
- Movement: TH50-00
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds, date
- Black Sunray brushed dial
- Black applied indexes with white Super-LumiNova® Black hour hand with white Super-LumiNova®
- Black minute hand with Super-LumiNova®
- Polar blue lacquered central hand with Super-LumiNova® Rhodium plated TAG HEUER sticker logo
- 3 o’clock angled date
- AQUARACER SOLARGRAPH 200 M / 660 FT printer
- 40 mm diameter
- Titanium grade 2 sand blasted case
- Titanium grade 2 sand blasted 60-minute scale unidirectional turning bezel Flat sapphire crystal with double anti-reflective treatment
- Steel screw-down crown at 3 o’clock
- Sand blasted titanium grade 2 screwed case back
- Water resistance : 200 meters
- Sand blasted titanium grade 2 bracelet
- Titanium grade 2 folding clasp with double safety push-buttons with comfort link extension; TAG Heuer shield
- Availability: February 2023