The rest of the Archimede Pilot 42 GMT is standard fare, in terms of the case, handset, and dial. Well, ok, the dial isn’t exactly the same as other Fliegers. You do have the 24-hour track inside of the main hour indices (please note, all hands stretch to their appropriate track). You also will notice that there’s a date window (color-matching for the win) showing up at the 6 o’clock position. This is not totally uncommon on a Flieger, but it looks to be particularly well-executed here.
Powering all of this on the Archimede Pilot 42 GMT is the well-known ETA 2893-2 automatic movement, so it should be plenty reliable, and well-protected inside the Ickler case. Pricing for the Archimede Pilot 42 GMT starts at $1011 (for those in the EU, you’ve got a VAT-included price of €1080). I list it as the starting price, because, as with other Archimede watches, there are various options (engraving, domed crystal, bracelet/strap choices) that you can make that will impact the pricing.
For my part, I do rather like the looks of the Archimede Pilot 42 GMT. It’s a funny thing – I could give or take a Flieger, but you throw date and GMT complications in there, and then I’m all ears. To that end, we’re currently talking with the brand to see if we can get one in to get a hands-on impression (and review) for you. In the meantime, feel free to let me know about other interesting Flieger-style watches below. archimede-uhren.de
- Brand & Model: Archimede Pilot 42 GMT
- Price: $1011
- Who we think it might be for: You want a Flieger that follows convention, but adds some interesting elements
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? Quite possibly – this is a style of watch that I do not have represented in my modest collection
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Destro-crown (i.e., flip it to the other side) for increased comfort with the larger case
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The inclusion of the GMT and date complications, while still keeping the design language clean
Tech Specs from Archimede
- ICKLER stainless steel case, 42mm
- Brushed surface
- Luminous dial and hands
- 2nd timezone
- Swiss Made movement Eta 2893-2 Automatic