I have reviewed a great many of the Stevral (formerly Benarus) watches, and have a first-gen Sea Snake in my personal collection. In fact, since I started working with the brand, I think John has only managed to go hands-on with an earlier Megalodon, so great has my affinity been for the brand. I can’t say that I’ll beat him out for this latest Stevral Megalodon, though, as it’s just come up for pre-order.
The Stevral Megalodon is, of course, named after that near-mythic beast of the seas long ago. In it’s current (well, upcoming) incarnation, it is certainly ready for the seas as well, being as it carries a 2500m WR rating. So, yeah, if you find yourself outside your personal submersible as you leave your underground lair, your watch will survive even if your body is turned to jelly at those depths. Or, you know, it just looks really sweet on the land as well.
Frankly, if you’ve got a 47mm bronze case, looks have to be a major part of the decision here. Lucky for you, the Stevral Megalodon has that in spades. The two colors of dials available work well with the warm color of the case (though, as usual, I give the edge to the blue). The handset looks to be sized spot-on as well, another bonus (Steve Laughlin just gets that right). My favorite part of the watch though are those lumed indices. Not only are they big (which generally equates to super-glowy) they are super-reminiscent of the teeth in the open mouth of a sea creature (like, oh, I don’t know, a megalodon).
Should you want to get in on this latest incarnation of the Stevral Megalodon, get your pre-ordering fingers ready. While the MSRP is anticipated to $1,030, the first week of the pre-order nets you a price of $950. Each week after that (until the pre-order closes on January 2, 2017) the price will jump another $20; delivery is anticipated in the second quarter of 2017. It’s a wait, but the orders help get the gear train running, so to speak. While I may not particularly go for 47mm cases, I do really like what the Stevral brand is putting out. This latest Stevral Megalodon looks to be a worthy addition to that line, and powered by an ETA 2824, I’m sure they’ll sell quite nicely. stevral.com
- Brand & Model: Benarus Megalodon (Bronze, 47mm)
- Price: $1,030 (MSRP)
- Who we think it might be for: You like your divers big, eye catching, and patina-forming
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Probably not – 47mm is just to large for daily wear in my book
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: What would a more modestly-sized Megalodon (mini-Megalodon?) look like?
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Those toothy indices
Tech Specs from Benarus
- 2500m WR rating
- 5mm thick sapphire dome crystal
- Swiss automatic ETA 2824 movement
- C3 Superluminova
- Automatic HRV
- Unidirectional bezel
- Screw down crown and case back
- Rubber and leather premium straps with matching buckles.
- Regulated and tested in our Kansas shop before being delivering to the customer.