No doubt, we all had different visions in our mind for how 2020 was going to play out. For many, the 2020 Summer Olympics were no doubt going to be a highlight. Shinola had planned a watch to commemorate the Olympics, but those got delayed – as did their watch plans. Until they realized they could honor another amazing contender, our healthcare workers. So, they pivoted, and now the Shinola The Champ Detrola has a new mission.
Rather than honoring athletes, the Shinola The Champ Detrola is helping to honor all the women and men leading the charge in our hospitals and healthcare facilities in the midst of the pandemic. Rather than committing just a portion of the proceeds, Shinola is donating $197,500 to the ‘Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan’ – which is arrived at by the $395 retail price multiplied by the 500 piece limited edition.
So, yes, you could say they’re “all in” with the Shinola The Champ Detrola. Pre-orders for the watch opened up today, with delivery anticipated for sometime later this year, once it’s safe for them to re-open their factory in Detroit. So, if you’re looking for a way to help support healthcare workers – and get a head start on your 2021 Olympics gear – the Shinola The Champ Detrola is right there for you. shinola.com
- Brand & Model:?Shinola The Champ Detrola
- Who we think it might be for:?You’re looking for a watch, and want to help support a healthcare workers charity
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen??Of the various Detrola designs, this isn’t the one I’d want to put on my wrist
- What spoke to me the most about this watch:?It shows an agility in their design and plans to be able to pivot to support frontline workers
Tech Specs from Shinola
- Case: 43mm, made of TR90 resin
- Strap: silicone, quick release
- Movement: Argonite 705 quartz
- Crystal: K1 mineral
- Limited edition: 500 pieces