Sometimes, what comes to us out of crowd-funded campaigns is just a lot of “meh”, stuff that looks like the 20 watches before it with just a change of dial. Well, we are certainly not fans of badge engineering here at WWR. Then you get something like the SD-09 Spacecraft, and, well, it’s surely not a “me too” design.
Now, before you string me up, yes, the SD-09 Spacecraft has a lot of famous designs it pulls from. The case and crown guard (as well as the sandwich dial) definitely screams Panerai, and that bezel is more than just a little bit reminiscent of Hublot and/or Audemars Piguet. For all of that, they still manage to mix in their own design.
For starters, how about those lume pips that are all along the chapter ring? You do not see that (at least I have not) simply because that angle plays mad games on anyone trying to actually paint on there, building it up, without it running (so my guess is that they’re applied pips). Throw in the lumed sub-seconds dial (which is where the UFO influence comes in), and you have a bit of a light show on your hands. Color me interested.
That said, I do sort of wish they had found a way to make the UFO influences more prevalent on the design. Perhaps that’s a phase two sort of idea, letting this initial watch sort of start down that path without going too crazily off of the beaten path. If you want to pick one of these up for yourself, the SD-09 Spacecraft has early bird pricing (Kickstarter) that starts at around $250. sd-09watches.com
- Brand & Model: SD-09 Spacecraft
- Price: $250
- Who we think it might be for: You like the Panerai looks, but want something obviously different than all the inexpensive homages out there
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Well, it’s a curious design – if the lume is as strong as some of the photos suggest, I could see that.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: More obvious UFO cues. Aside from that, make sure that lume is super thickly applied on the handset
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Those lume pips on the chapter ring
Tech Specs from SD-09
- Miyota 8218 automatic mechanical movement
- 42mm case (excluding crown guard); 316L stainless steel
- 100m WR
- Sapphire crystal with AR coating
- Leather strap
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team