As war continues on in Ukraine, so do efforts to raise funds to help out those there defending their country, and those that have had to flee. One of the latest is a one-of-a-kind dial on the GoS Norrsken. That this watch hails from Sweden is all the more fitting, as it seems Sweden (along with Finland) are moving closer to membership in NATO.
Now, if you’re thinking this watch looks familiar, you’d be correct – we’ve written about the GoS Norrsken (aka Northern Lights) before, which you can see here. This one, then, had to be something special. The first special thing here is that there is a unique Sunflowerman art piece that goes along with this watch (which we’ve pictured above). He makes amazing stuff, and I feel fortunate to have an original here in my home. So, the winner of this auction gets something quite special.
This one-of-a-kind GoS Norrsken also has a very unique dial – the blue and yellow that we can all recognize as the flag of Ukraine. It makes for a rather unique watch, one that not only helps raise funds for the Red Cross of Ukraine, but also marks an important time in modern history on the wrist of whomever wins this lot (which is for the watch and the artwork).
If you’re thinking you want to go bid on this, it will be part of the Sotheby’s Important Watches: Part 2 which kicks off on 27 April. There is a landing page for it at Sotheby’s (seen here), and that’s where the bidding will commence as well. If you’re bidding, best of luck to you. Slava Ukraini! goswatches.com
Tech Specs from GoS
- Hours, Minutes Seconds
- Small second at 6h:00 in the shape of the GoS triskele
- ASE200 movement by Schwarz Etienne with GoS micro-rotor in handfinished damascus steel and heat blued to match the the dial.
- GoS triskele and “Slava Ukraini” in four languages engraved on click wheel
- Separate bridge for escape wheel 21,600 vibrations/hour
- 86h power reserve
- Stop-seconds mechanism
- 33 jewels – 199 parts 30.40mm x 5.25mm
- 41.5mm x 12.1mm (8mm at edge)
- Stainless steel with optional Black DamascusTM case ring and/or Black DamascusTM steel bezel. Sapphire crystals front and caseback – Front crystal domed with double sided anti-reflective coating Transparent crystal gaskets in new Swiss-developed material
- 5ATM water resistance (50m)
- Crown with double gaskets and GoS internal impact protection.
- Silver dial with handcut guilloché by master Jochen Benzinger – machined and finished by Patrik Sjögren
- Hour index recesses filled with midnight blue Badgerite, developed by James Thompson and Swiss SuperLuminova
- Transparent index ring in Swedish Crystal – individually handmade by master glass artisan Mikael Kenlind
- Solid ring of Badgerite applied round the Crystal index ring.
- Hands: GoS viking spearhead – Rhodium plated GoS triskele small seconds hand
- Polished Salmon leather – black or blue/black – Made in Stockholm
- Tapered 21mm to 20mm with rounded padding
- Pin buckle in stainless damascus steel with GoS triskele logo
- Presentation box: Individually handcrafted presentation box in Swedish crystal, handmade by glass artisan Mikael Kenlind