Breitling has a Surf Squad, a team of world-reknowned surfers who do pretty cool stuff, like ocean conservancy, or just get together for Breitling summits to surf waves. On the Squad is Kelly Slater, co-founder of Outerknown, an apparel company. It only makes sense that the two would partner on something watch-related, since one of the world’s great watch brands is working with the world’s greatest surfer.
What are Breitling doing?
Breitling put together these squads (cinema, surfer, jet, explorer) to show how Breitling has historical ties to all these contexts. And, it lets them endorse some people at the top of their fields, all while proving that they aren’t just for pilots.
This watch, the SuperOcean Outerknown is a 44mm SuperOcean Automatic, updated for this partnership. Normally available in blue, black, yellow, or limited edition Iron Man colors, it’s now available in a green dial. What makes it really different is the Outerknown straps.
Who are Outerknown?
Outerknown is Kelly Slater’s apparel company, for casual outerwear and swimwear. Over 90% of Outerknown’s products are said to be made from organic, or recycled materials. I should point out, it’s not just swim trunks. It’s jeans, polos, henleys, hoodies, dresses, casual beach pants, and loads of other categories as well. The point is that they’re meant to be sustainable, and fair trade.
What are Outerknown doing with Breitling?
Providing straps. But these aren’t some mass produced common nylon fabric strap. These are the Outerknown ECONYL® yarn NATO strap collection. Each of the 18 references is made of ECONYL® yarn, created exclusively from recycled nylon waste. They are available in six colors: blue with dark blue stripes and lining, light blue with dark blue stripes and lining, yellow with orange stripes and lining, gray with black stripes and lining, red with black stripes and lining, and green with black stripes and lining. These are available in four different sizes ranging from 18mm to 24mm.
The Outerknown ECONYL yarn straps and the accompanying watch will be available exclusively through Breitling’s online shops, instead of authorized dealers, for $4200 USD.
- Brand & Model: Breitling Superocean Automatic 44 Outerknown
- Price: $4200
- Who we think it might be for: You like a large dive watch, dream of surfing, and sustainable manufacturing
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Yes
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: do more with sustainable materials in the future.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The green 12-6-9 dial is great, and I really like some of the strap colors.
Tech Specs from Breitling
- Case size: 44mm
- Height: 14.2mm
- Case material: stainless steel
- Crystal: sapphire
- Strap: Outerknown ECONYL recycled nylon recovered from the ocean
- Movement: Breitling calibre 17