It seems to be a good year for watch brand anniversaries – specifically, 10-year ones. A little bit ago, we told you about a commemorative watch from Magrette. Now, we’ve got news of another 10-year watch, the succinctly name Triwa TIO.
Now, it has been awhile since we’ve talked about Triwa, but I have kept a finger on their pulse, so to speak. They have some very nice designs, and are executed in interesting ways (i.e. acetate cases) that mix up the designs while keeping things very affordable. For the Triwa TIO, things hew to that aesthetic, but upgrade things in a few key ways.
The first significant change (to my eyes) with the Triwa TIO is the fact that the 38mm case is formed from stainless steel. I’m used to various resins and the likes from Triwa, but seeing steel here, makes for a decidedly more upmarket case. That said, they still keep things compact, with a smaller (for this era) 38mm diameter making the Triwa T10 ready for a variety of wrists.
The other big change for the Triwa TIO (as compared to prior Triwa watches) is the movement. While I’m used to seeing quartz movements, this time around, we’ve got ourselves an automatic. The Miyota 9015 is (or should be) well-known to many of our readers, and make sense here for the Triwa TIO. Given that Triwa is keeping this watch to only 300 pieces, the movement allows a mechanical, while keeping things more affordable.
The third area we’re seeing an upgrade on the Triwa TIO is with the straps. I’m sure they’ve had leather straps before, but I’m more used to seeing things in textile from the brand. For the Triwa TIO, they’ve gone with leather from the Tärnsjö Tannery (coincidentally, the same tannery that provided the leather in the straps for this month’s giveaway). Again, this takes things in a more upmarket direction.
In terms of overall style, the Triwa TIO immediately spoke to me. It’s a clean three-hander look with lots of contrast from the dial to the multi-colored handset. The chapter ring and bezel are minimal, but there, and it creates an overall very balanced look. For those more familiar with the historical catalog fro the brand, it’s also pulling visual references from the decade. Coming in at $629, I think the Triwa TIO makes for a rather stunning way to commemorate being in business for 10 years. Here’s to (at least) ten more! triwa.com
- Brand & Model: Triwa TIO
- Price: $629
- Who we think it might be for: You’ve wanted to get in on that Swedish style, but wanted something where steel is the answer
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? It is a handsome watch – and could make me forget those tortoise shell acetate creations in their catalog
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Hmm. Let’s get crazy, and throw some color onto that chapter ring.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It’s the profile of that bezel as seen from straight on, surprisingly.
Tech Specs from Triwa
- Watch case: Stainless steel
- Glass: Sapphire glass
- Backplate: Stainless steel and glass
- Strap: Brown organic leather strap from Tärnsjö Tannery
- Movement: Miyota 9015 automatic Size: 38 mm