There must be something in the water over there in Pforzheim – the brands that fall under the Ickler banner seem to be coming up with a spate of new watches lately. One of the more recent announcements is this vintage nouveau piece, the Defakto Vektor Radial.
Now, on one hand, you can definitely see the minimalist influence (ie, it looks similar to a lot of the cruft on Kickstarter these days – just a whole lot better). What really makes this watch – in my opinion – is that curved plexiglass crystal. Sure, we all dig sapphire, but you definitely get that vintage feel when there’s plexiglass involved (just watch out for doorknobs and brick walls, alright?)
As their own PR affirms, the Defakto Vektor Radial hails from designs in the 50s, when things were looking towards a space age future. I wouldn’t call myself overly familiar with that particular genre of design, but I’m not going to disagree. Past any of that, well, it’s just a sharp-looking watch.
One, that is powered by an automatic movement (a Miyota 9015) and comes in at under 10mm thick (again, so much better than the KS stuff). This all just interplays with that dial design, and makes for a fun piece. Albeit, one that will run you $760, but still – it’s a unique look, and with that movement, one that will last you for a good long time. defakto-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Defakto Vektor Radial
- Price: $760 (outside of the EU) / €760 (in the EU, including VAT)
- Who we think it might be for: You like the “minimalist” watches on Kickstarter, but want something that will last
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? Likely not – this style, overall, isn’t for me
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Put luminous paint on the hands and dial – that would look great lit up
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Picking just one element is dangerous, but I’m going to go with the plexiglass crystal.
Tech Specs from Defakto
- Three-hand watch
- Two-piece 39 mm stainless steel watchcase (316L), 6.8 mm high, fine sandblasted
- Height including sphered plexiglas dome 9.8mm
- 39 mm x 44 mm x 9,8 mm, weight 52g
- Automatic movement Miyota 9015, made in Japan
- Engraved see-through case back, stainless steel (316L), fine sandblasted
- Matt black dial, convex
- Light, matt red/black rounded hands, manually shaped
- Flowing, sweeping second hand
- Ergonomic clasp with engraved Defakto logo
- German-made cowhide strap
- Water resistant to 3 atm
- Made in Pforzheim, Germany