So, do you remember that Hager Commando that we reviewed a bit ago? (If not, you can read up on it here). Now that we’re up to speed, you will recall that I certainly did like what I saw with that watch. What if, however, you could change out the Miyota 9015 for something Swiss, and add a GMT complication? That’s what we’ve got with the Hager GMT Traveler.
You will notice that the Hager GMT Traveler has more than a small family resemblance to the Commando. When I asked the brand about the similarities (to tie the new watch to one I was familiar with), they stated that they are basically the same – just a different movement and a different bezel insert.
The movement in this case would be the well-known ETA 2836, and the bezel would be swapping things in for the 24-hour scale. Thankfully, it’s still ceramic, and you’ve even got some bi-color options (I frankly would have a hard time choosing between the blue/black and the red/blue). Also thankfully, it’s the same midnight blue dial (and date wheel) that I dug so much on the Commando.
The Hager GMT Traveler is currently up for pre-order, with the pre-order period closing down on April 10th. You will need to put 50% down now ($350 for the stainless steel, $400 for the PVD finish), with the remainder due in a few months when delivery occurs. That brings your total price to $700 ($800 if you want PVD), which is not too shabby for a Swiss-powered GMT that also carries a 200m WR rating. Just move fast – along with that date deadline, there’s also a limited number of slots open. As of the time of this writing, 46 remained. preorder page
- Brand & Model: Hager GMT Traveler
- Price: $700 (in steel); $800 (DLC finish)
- Who’s it for?: You like the classic sub-style dive watches, but want the ability to track multiple time zones
- Would I wear it?: Yes indeedely-do!
- What I’d change: Since I can’t make my mind up about the bezel inserts, let’s make the bezel user-changeable!
- The best thing about it: Aside from the basic looks (and the great blue dial), it’s the bi-color ceramic (and lumed) bezels.
Tech Specs from Hager
- Stainless steel case with a stainless steel deployment with push button clasp bracelet.
- Engraved, bi-directional 24-click rotating luminous ceramic bezel.
- Midnight blue dial with luminous hands and luminous dots hour markers.
- Minute markers around the outer rim.
- Date displays at the 4 o’clock position.
- ETA 2836 Automatic movement with a 40 hour power reserve.
- Functions: GMT, second time zone, hour, minute, second.
- Scratch resistant sapphire crystal.
- Screw down crown.
- Solid case back.
- Deployment clasp.
- Water resistant at 200 meters / 360 feet.
- Additional Info: GMT timekeeping; blue/red center hand indicates second time zone.
- Case diameter: 42 mm.
- Case thickness: 14.5 mm.
- Band width: 22 mm.
[amazon_link asins=’B000F2SRFS,B0017H3PIO’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’wristwatchrev-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’14ab94b4-08f8-11e7-b863-c915b173f1d0′]