As I’ve said in the past, Magrette holds a special place in my clockwork heart. While it’s true that I have reviewed a lot of their watches, it’s more than that. You see, right around the time that I started writing here at WWR, is when I got my first automatic watch. That watch, of course, was the Magrette Regattare 2011. While I just recently passed the six year mark here, Magrette has been around a bit long. To commemorate the brand’s 10 year anniversary, they’re releasing the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara.
Now, to clarify – the Kara in the watches name is not named after a woman (at least, the release materials don’t say they are). Instead, the Kara here is a Maori word that means ‘flag’. Why is that important? Well, you see, that informs the color palette of the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara. The blue, red, and white are done up to honor the New Zealand flag (which is where Magrette calls home, if you weren’t aware).
Now, if that was all Magrette did for this new watch – put a new coat of paint onto an existing model – I’d still be happy. They have upped the ante some more, though. That 44mm cushion case is made, this time around, out of grade 5 titanium (rather than stainless steel), which will of course bring lightness and toughness to the party, with a different feel to it. All that space-age material is protecting another change, in that of the movement.
Many of the watches I’ve reviewed from Magrette have feature Miyota movements. And it makes sense – they’re reliable, have a good name (and serviceability), and they help keep watch costs down. For the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara, though, Magrette has gone Swiss. An STP1-11 automatic, to be precise. And, as we wrote about in our Aevig Corvid review, the STP 1-11 is a Fossil-backed answer to the ETA 2824. In short, should be a rather nice movement to deal with.
Oh, and rounding out the firsts for Magrette, you will actually be able to see the movement. The Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara features an exhibition caseback (in sapphire), while still maintaining a 500m WR rating. Not that you or I is likely to be hitting those depths – ever. Should you want to do some more realistic diving, though, the lumed ceramic bezel will certainly help you keep track of dive time. Or, you know, parking meter timing.
Frankly, I find a lot to like about the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara. Along with all of the upgrades to materials, the blue color scheme speaks to me (my favorite color, so no small stretch there), including the color-matched rubber strap and travel case. Total price for the Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara will be $685, which is pretty affordable with the movement and titanium case. Frankly, I think it’s a steal from my experience with Magrette, and right now, if you’re interested, you only need to put $200 down. The remainder will be due in December 2017, which is the expected completion date for the watch. Do let us know if you pick one up, and in the meantime, we’ll see what we can do to get one in for review. preorder page
- Brand & Model: Magrette Moana Pacific Professional Kara
- Price: $685 (plus $35 shipping)
- Who we think it might be for: You want a quality, cushion-case diver with a Swiss movement
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? I think so, yeah – this is a beauty of a watch, and the titanium would be a nice addition
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I wonder if a non-pro version would allow for a slimmer case (with a then reduced WR rating)
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: Blue, blue, and blue. And titanium. And ceramic. And a Swiss movement. Shall I go on?
Tech Specs from Magrette
- MOVEMENT: Swiss Made Caliber STP1-11 automatic movement with hacking seconds, 28800bph, manual winding, Incabloc shock absorption and Nivaflex NM mainspring
- CASE DIMENSIONS: 44mm excluding the crown, 53mm lug-to-lug, 15.3mm tall, 24mm lug width
- CASE FINISH: Brushed Titanium grade 5 (brushed) with stainless steel case back
- BEZEL: Ceramic (matte finish), engraved and fully lumed
- CROWN: Screw down crown with red safety alert collar
- CRYSTAL: Sapphire (double domed), AR coating
- DIAL, HANDS & BEZEL: Super Luminova BGW9 (blue in color)
- WATER-RESISTANCE: 500m/1650ft Water resistance. Viton gasket used on case back.
- STRAP: All new blue FKM rubber integrated strap with logo, name and customized deployant buckle