When it comes to mashups, there are some that you’re just surprised by. I mean, we’re used to dive watches from the 60s with wild colors, and we’re used to a GMT complication showing up in a diver. But smashing those two up? I did not have that on my bingo card, but that’s what we’ve got going on with the Mido Ocean Star Decompression Worldtimer Special Edition.
The Mido Ocean Star Decompression Worldtimer Special Edition, of course, draws inspiration from the Mido Ocean Star Skin Diver, which used a multicolor display on the dial to let you know decompression times when coming up from a dive. For this, then, we’ve got another ring added around the outside edge of the dial, and that’s the 24-hour scale that the red GMT hand points to.
So, not only can you track yourself coming up from a dive, you can check what the time is in UTC – and if you fiddle with the bezel, then you can see the time in any city around the world. Well, maybe don’t do that on a dive, as then you’ll be messing with your decompression stages. So, though the functions are combined in the watch, let’s operate them seperately.
Though, if you want to throw caution to the wind, well, that’s your call. It’s also your call if you’d like the Mido Ocean Star Decompression Worldtimer Special Edition with either a blue or black dial. You’ll get a color-matched rubber strap, as well as a steel Milanese mesh strap. You’ll find them available 1,270 CHF (approx $1,400) directly from midowatches.com
Tech Specs from Mido
- Movement: Mido automatic calibre 80 (ETA C07.661 base), 11½’’’, Ø 25.60 mm, thickness: 5.86 mm, 25 jewels, 21,600 Vib/h, Nivachron™ balance-spring. Finely decorated elaborate movement, oscillating weight decorated with Côtes de Genève and Mido logo. HMSD + 24-hour GMT functions. Adjusted in three different positions for the highest precision. Power reserve of up to 80 hours.
- Case: Polished stainless steel, bi-directional rotating bezel with blue/black aluminium ring and silver markings, natural colour Super-LumiNova® dot at 12 o’clock, diameter 40.5 mm, 2-part, glassbox-style sapphire crystal, screw-down crown and screw-down case back with polished starfish in relief and serial number, water resistant up to a pressure of 20 bar (200 m/660 ft). Lug-to-lug length 46.99 mm.
- Textured dark blue/semi-glossy black rubber strap, polished pin buckle with engraved Mido logo.
- Additional stainless steel polished Milanese mesh strap and sliding clasp that offers an optimal and secure adjustment mode.
- Blue, with applied, polished indices highlighted with natural colour Super-LumiNova®, date window at 3 o’clock. Polished original Mido applique logo. Decompression scale represented by 4 coloured circles (yellow, green, pink and blue).
- Black, with polished applique indices highlighted with natural colour Super-LumiNova®, date window at 3 o’clock. Polished original Mido applique logo. Decompression scale represented by 4 coloured circles (in graduated colours from yellow to orange).
- Hands: Flat diamond-cut hour and minutes highlighted with natural colour Super-LumiNova®. Flat diamond-cut large seconds. Varnished red hand for the second time zone, highlighted with natural colour Super-Luminova®.