Like ‘em or leave ‘em, smart watches are hard to ignore. Once the domain solely of the technorati, many a person now has some sort of wearable that is connected to their phones. And, now that we have fashion brands getting into the smartwatch game, well, they have definitely arrived and are safe to consider mainstream. The latest entries come courtesy of Michael Kors, with the just-announced Sofie and Grayson watches.
Both of these watches are powered by the Android Wear 2.0 platform, so a lot of the functionality (say, by telling your watch “OK Google” and then another command) is pretty well set and known at this point. And, of course, with this platform, you can certainly extend the functionality of the watch with various apps and widgets. So, rather than get into that, let’s focus on the looks of the watches.
And I’m going to narrow things even more for you. Because, frankly, the Michael Kors Grayson (ostensibly targeted at a male audience) just looks uninspired, with the blocky lugs and “chronograph” pushers. Other than the logo on the (AMOLED) dial, you couldn’t tell this watch from anything else. The Michael Kors Sofie, on the other hand, now that looks different.
Now, I will admit, a lot of that is down to the default dial design that they’ve placed on the Michael Kors Sofie. It just looks a lot less utilitarian than the male-oriented options seem to be, while still giving things plenty of actual functionality. Additionally, the pave bezel (which is normally something I do not care for) help to separate the Sofie from the rest of the smartwatch brethren. Sure, it would stand out like a sore thumb at the gym or on the trail, but for anything else, it’s a solid look.
Now, smartwatches aren’t for everyone (I’ve yet to have a good use case for putting one with any regularity on my own wrist), but for those who like them, well, a brand like Michael Kors putting it’s name on a design certainly gives some more confidence in the looks of the thing. Well, maybe not with the generic Grayson, but the Sofie is a different story all together. If you find yourself intrigued, you can pick one of these up now, with pricing starting at $350. destinationkors.com
- Brand & Model: Michael Kors Sofie and Grayson smartwatches
- Price: Starts at $350
- Who we think it might be for: You want a smartwatch that looks less like a second screen for your phone and something more like a fashion accessory
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? Nope, not particularly. Your use case may vary.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Try something different with the men’s line – go for a dressier, less sporty, look, perhaps.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: On the Sofie, it’s actually that default dial – classy, sparkly, and plenty of info. On the Grayson? Not much.
- Exclusive Michael Kors display watch faces, which change with a swipe—whether it’s a digital chronograph designed for the gym or glittering, animated pavé for night
- Hundreds of possible combinations of display faces with customizable colors and subdials.
- A touchscreen display smartwatch powered by Android Wear 2.0 so you can:
- Talk to your Google Assistant™ by holding the power button or saying “Ok Google.” Ask about weather, set a reminder, get directions and more
- Download third-party apps easily through the Google Play Store
- Customize watch faces, color combinations and information to suit your style, your mood and your life
- Create your very own watch face with your Instagram™ and Facebook™ photos with the My Social microapp (exclusively on MICHAEL KORS ACCESS touchscreen smartwatches)
- Track runs, bike rides, strength training and more through Google Fit
- Measure calories, pace, distance and additional exercises based on settings
- Stream music right from your watch when you are connected to phone or WiFi with the Google Play Music app
- Interchangeable leather, silicone and stainless-steel straps
- Styles for men and women
- Magnetic charging
[amazon_link asins=’B009DFA43Q,B007VPSYFA,B00FZE1AZU,B01BESQMYE,B06XQ67VCH’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’wristwatchrev-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’fca06cf8-94db-11e7-9915-c5988b4b4595′]