Have you heard of Giuliano Mazzuoli before? If not, let me give you a quick run-down. Basically, the brand is producing watches that are heavily influenced by automotive designs, such as gauges and gears (yeah, gears – it’s actually pretty cool looking). For the brand’s latest release, they have gone back to the original watch they put out – the Manometro – and have introduced some new colors.
Now, as a matter of course, simple dial color changes are normally not enough for me to take notice. As we have not covered this more-affordable luxury brand on these pages in some time, though, I thought it was a good jumping-off point. The Giuliano Mazzuoli Manometro features a highly-polished 45mm case – which, at almost 15mm tall, definitely calls to mind a gauge pod you might see on a dashboard.
In keeping with that gauge feel, the dial itself is uncluttered – you have the numerals and minute hashes in white against the dial (which itself has minimal printing), along with a white handset. The seconds hand and 12 show up in red, calling to mind (at least for me) the “redline” portion of, say, a tachometer. This gives a very clean feel to the Giuliano Mazzuoli Manometro, something I would almost associate more with a Germanic design, rather than an Italian one that we have here. Be that as it may, it’s well-sorted.
Perhaps that Italian flare then comes in with the rest of the colors, and the high-quality leather strap. For the new Giuliano Mazzuoli Manometro, you have the dials appearing in blue (my personal favorite) as well as green (not British Racing Green, though). Both setup up very well against the brown Florentine leather strap, and are covered up by a convex sapphire crystal.
At an asking price of $3,500, the Giuliano Mazzuoli Manometro is certainly not the most inexpensive ETA 2824/2-driven watch that we have seen on these pages. From my experience with some of their other models, though, these are watches that really are served well by seeing them in person, as the pictures don’t quite do them justice. Even if this is not quite the watch for you, you have to admit, it is a lovely design. giulianomazzuoli.it
- Brand & Model: Giuliano Mazzuoli Manometro
- Price: $3,500
- Who we think it might be for: You like your cars, and you like ‘em Italian (hmm, why no red dial?)
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: The new colors are lovely, but I would much sooner pick up one of the other models in their range than this “simple” three-hander
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: The handset could do with some tweaking, I feel
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The commitment to the theme
Tech Specs from Giuliano Mazzuoli
- Movement: mechanical automatic movement; caliber ETA 2824/2
- Functions: hours, minutes and seconds
- Case: cylindrical polished INOX AISI 316/L stainless steel case diameter 45.2 mm; height 14.8 mm
- Crown: screw-in crown
- Dials: blue or green
- Crystal: Convex sapphire crystal; anti-reflective
- Strap: in natural Florentine leather with stainless steel buckle
- Water Resistance: 5 ATM (50 meters)