I am, it would appear, quite the sucker when it comes to vintage and vintage-look watches. This is primarily due to the fact that those styles that get resurrected and referenced in modern interpretations are those timeless, classic looks that just plain look good. One of the latest to hit the crowd-funding scene comes out of Singapore, and goes by the name of SVSTEM.
Now, details on the project page on Indiegogo (project page) are a bit light, but we got in touch with the brand and we’ve got the whole tech spec rundown for you at the bottom of the post. The key details here are a Miyota 1L45 (not a movement I’ve heard of before, but it is a Miyota quartz) tucked away into what looks to be a very slim 40mm stainless steel case.
What really grabbed me about the SVSTEM watches was the look of the things. The dial (particularly in the steel version) has a very raw look to it, with the numerals and indices looking almost etched on, and the subdial being milled out of the blank. The black variant gives things a bit more polish (in terms of looks), but it is still a very flat look. Mixing in an accent color, you’ve got the small seconds hand showing up in blue.
Topping off the dial of the SVSTEM watch you have a domed mineral crystal. Not the hard-edged dome that some vintage watches go for, but something here that gives a hint of a bubble, and allows the watch to slide cleanly under a cuff. Given the fairly low profile this watch has, along with the quartz movement and the silicone strap tucked into the 20mm lugs, the SVSTEM is not likely to be a watch that will weigh you down.
The SVSTEM will also be light on your wallet – early bird pricing is starting at only $99, which is almost an impulse buy for these sorts of crowd-funded watches. Sure, nitpickers might have preferred a mechanical movement and sapphire crystal, but this, I think, can get the brand started, and keeps it all at an affordable price point. I’m just glad that we have a clean (almost minimal), slim three-hander that has it’s own style, unlike so many of the carbon copies we see out there these days. Current funding level is at 32%, with the campaign wrapping up on November 25th; delivery is anticipated to be by the end of this year. svstem.co
- Brand & Model: SVSTEM Vintage
- Price: $99 and up
- Who we think it might be for: You like the idea of a slim three-hander and find yourself leaning towards vintage, or classic, looks
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Tough to say – while I really do like the look, the quartz movement does give me some pause
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: In future models, exploring mechanical and sapphire would be a bonus. For the current model, looking into simple leather straps would be a nice upgrade.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: The look. Finally – a crowd-funded three-hander that doesn’t look like the five we saw before it!
Tech Specs from SVSTEM
- Movement: Japanese Miyota 1L45
- Case Material: Stainless Steel 316L
- Case Diameter: 40mm
- Strap Material: Silicone, w/Stainless Steel Buckles
- Strap Width: 20mm
- Optics: Mineral Glass
- Water Resistance: 3 ATM / 30 Meters