The watch comes in two styles, both variations on the Flieger B-style. My favorite of the two utilizes one chapter ring, with hour markings from 1:00 to 11:00 and the familiar triangle and two dots for 12:00. The other style utilizes two chapter rings, the inner one marked for minutes and the outer with hour and minute indexes and numbers at the ordinance points. Both watches utilize a Miyota 9015 automatic movement, but the more tradition face style omits the date window, while version two has the date window at 4:30. A nice touch is that the date wheel matches the black color of the dial.
Beyond those changes, both watches are 45mm brushed stainless steel and 13.5mm high. With tax, either watch is $355.81 on a leather strap. A stainless bracelet can be added for $178.50. Both watches use a generous amount of C3 Super Lumi-Nova that will make the watch very readable in the dark. The one element of the watch that really seems to carry over from the diver heritage of the brand is the very wide bezel on the watch. The case style and crown protectors don’t match another H2O product, but I could see a rotating bezel on this watch and immediately translating it to a diver. h2o-watch.com
- Brand & Model: H2O Helberg CH5
- Price: $355
- Who we think it might be for: You want a beefier looking pilot’s watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Probably not. The watch is a good value, but that bezel is too wide for my tastes with this style of watch.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Trim the bezel and go with a smaller case or a larger dial.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: I like the looks of the more traditional style dial.
Tech Specs from H2O
- Movement : Miyota 9015 automatic
- Functions : Date (with style Two)
- Case : Brushed 316L stainless steel
- Glass : Not specified
- Water resistance : Not specified
- Lug width : 22mm
- Straps : Black leather standard, brushed stainless steel optional
- Diameter : 45mm
- Length : 54mm
- Case height : 13.5 mm
- Weight of watch head : Not specified