As we’ve seen over the years, there is no shortage of overlap and crossover between cars and watches. Most often, those are both of the vintage variety, but that does not have to be the case. In fact, today’s watch is modern, but definitely calls back to the 60’s and 70’s. Meet the Atelier Jalaper AJ-P400.
As you might guess by the name, the Atelier Jalaper AJ-P400 is drawing a lot of inspiration from the Lamborgini Miura, which was originally designated as the P400 when it was a prototype. The most obvious reference would be the round dial set into the oval bezel, which calls to mind the headlights on the Miura. There’s more here, though.
For instance, the dial of the Atelier Jalaper AJ-P400? It’s made from aluminum that was originally a bonnet on a Miura, so you’ve literally got a piece of the car in the watch. For the dial layout, that was inspired by the speedometer of the car, and a power reserve that looks all the world a fuel gauge.
Even the colors of the Atelier Jalaper AJ-P400 are inspired by the Miura. The watch might be as rare to run across as the Miura as well, given that only 400 of each color are being produced. Want to strap the Lamborghini to your wrist? Just buckle in and bring $2,000 along to atelierjalaper.com
Tech Specs from Atelier Jalaper
- Material: 316L polished / brushed finished steel case Diameter: 39.5 mm
- Thickness: 10.3 mm
- Back: Screwed and open
- Bezel: Polished bezel with an oval shape referring to the mythical Miura’s headlights.
- Crown: Screwed crown with AJ decoration
- Front glass: Sapphire glass with antireflective coating
- Back glass: Smoked grey mineral glass
- Water resistance: 5 ATM
- Material: Aluminum
- Source: Genuine Lamborghini Miura P400 S.
- Treatment: The dial has been treated by anodizing to give it a matte black color while keeping the original patina of the piece.
- Indexes: The indexes is the same on the Miura speedometer. The hour markers are luminescent in the dark.
- Minute ring: Four versions are available: Black, Green, Blue and Orange (corresponding to the most iconic Miura paintings). The bezel features a white minute track.
- Hands: The hands refer to the Lamborghini Miura’s counter hands. They are luminescent and white in the dark.
- Material: Calf leather inspired by the design of the Miura’s elegant seats Width at lugs: 19mm
- Buckle: Deployant
- Feature: “Flash” pumps for quick and easy strap change
- Caliber: Sellita SW270-1 M
- Movement type: Mechanical
- Winding: Manual
- Frequency: 28’800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz)
- Power reserve: About 45 hours
- Hours, minutes and central seconds
- Power reserve indicator at 6 o’clock
- Date with quick change settings
- Stop seconds feature