While the creations that H. Moser creates are firmly not in the category that we tend to cover (aka, what most consider consider affordable), there is no denying that they create some pretty pieces that are creative in both a create and engineering perspective. The latest release certainly fits that description – meet the H. Moser Streamliner Tourbillon Vantablack.
Now, if that sounds familiar, you’re on the right path. We’ve seen the H. Moser Streamliner before (seen here), we’ve seen tourbillons from them (here), and of course we’ve seen their usage of Vantablack (here). Here, we’ve got got all three of these coming together in a very clean combination.
Myself, I tend to not be much of a gold tone person (steel and silver tones for me, please), but with the H. Moser Streamliner Tourbillon Vantablack being done in rose gold, I could definitely be persuaded. Of course, a large part of the appeal is that deep abyss of a dial from which no light escapes (well, aside from the indices and the handset). Delightfully, there’s no writing on the dial at all, keeping things from getting distracting.
Then again, the open cage of the tourbillon will definitely captivate the eye. Here again, I tend to not care for open dials. While I like seeing a balance wheel in open, it tends to just become a distraction on the dial, or feel like someone is trying to pretend there’s a tourbillon in the watch. Well, here there actually IS a tourbillon, and seeing that whirlwind should be a treat. Given how austere the remainder of the dial is, it should not be a distraction at all either.
So, yes, in my book, there is a lot to like about the H. Moser Streamliner Tourbillon Vantablack – just not perhaps the price. This is definitely one for the deep pockets crew, as it’s coming in at $119,900. Quite the lovely piece, nonetheless, so keep an eye out there for those dials that don’t seem to reflect anything, and maybe you’ll see one in the wild. h-moser.com
Tech Specs from H. Moser
- Reference 6804-0400, red gold model, Vantablack® dial, integrated bracelet in red gold
- 5N red gold topped by a slightly domed sapphire crystal Diameter: 40.0 mm
- Height without sapphire crystal: 10.3 mm
- Height with sapphire crystal: 12.1 mm
- Screw-in crown adorned with an engraved “M” See-through sapphire crystal case-back Water-resistant to 12 ATM
- Hour and minute hands with Globolight® inserts Indices secured from the back of the dial using a plate
- HMC 804 automatic Manufacture calibre
- Diameter: 32.0 mm or 14 1/4 lignes
- Height: 5.5 mm
- Frequency: 21,600 vibrations/hour
- Automatic bi-directional pawl winding system
- Oscillating weight in 18-carat red gold with engraved H. Moser & Cie. logo Power reserve: minimum of 3 days
- Original double hairspring
- One-minute flying tourbillon at 6 o’clock with skeletonised bridges
- Functions: Hours and minutes
- Integrated bracelet in 5N red gold
- Folding clasp with three blades in 5N red gold, engraved with the Moser logo Half-links available