Oris is a brand that we feel is criminally under-represented out there in wide world of watch writing. They consistently produce solid designs paired with robust construction and movements. Add in that they’ve got a wide variety of designs that would appeal to a wide range of folks, you’ve got recipe for success. Their latest release, the Oris Big Crown X Cervo Volante, turns focus on sustainable deer leather.
First off, the watch. The Oris Big Crown X Cervo Volante is obviously their Big Crown model that has the date pointer hand (while I like a lot of Oris models, indicating the date with a hand is something I’ve never been a fan of), here done up in three colors – a grey, a green, and then a teal that looks similar to the Tiffany blue that’s showing up everywhere, but it’s not the same (and that means you can actually buy one).
For the deer leather, that’s coming from a newer company, Cervo Volante. Each year, Switzerland culls around 15,000 red deer from the wild populations out there. Until 2017, though, not a whole lot was done with what that cull produced (hopefully there was some good venison to come from it). Enter Cervo Volante, and now we’ve got deer leather being produced sustainably, and showing up in a variety of places.
Of course, the Oris Big Crown X Cervo Volante that leather is showing up on the strap. Additionally, it comes in a travel pouch made from the leather; for your pockets, you also net a card holder made from the deer leather as well. All told, then, while the $2,000 tag for the Oris Big Crown X Cervo Volante is a bit of a bump over the prior models ($250 increase), you’re getting some additional goodies in there. As well as voting with your dollars to support this newish effort. oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case Multi-piece stainless steel case
- Size 38.00 mm (1.496 inches)
- Dial Grey, blue or green
- Luminous material Indices, numbers and hands with Super-LumiNova®
- Top glass Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back Stainless steel, screwed, see- through sapphire glass
- Operating devices Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Strap Dark brown, oak brown or cognac Cervo Volante deer leather with quick strap change system
- Water resistance 5 bar
- Number Oris 754
- Functions Centre hands for hours, minutes and seconds, date centre hand, instantaneous date, date corrector, fine timing device and stop-second Winding Automatic winding, bi-directionally rotating red rotor
- Power reserve 38 hours
- Special edition Each watch is delivered with a travel pouch and card holder crafted in Cervo Volante deer leather
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team