Panerai is a brand I’ve long had an admiration for, in terms of the style of watches they produce. The sandwich dials have that dash of retro to them, while the overall look of things – along with the crown guard – just makes for an instantly recognizable watch. The latest to hit all of those marks, and wrap in some useful complications, would be the Panerai Luminor BiTempo.
The first complication to talk about with the Panerai Luminor BiTempo is the GMT hand (hence the BiTempo name). This is marked out by the blue arrow-tipped hand, although there is no 24-hour scale printed around the edge of the dial. So, the owner will have to do that math in their head. To me, a dial tucked into a 44mm case seems like it would have enough real estate to print that scale, even if it was only the odd numbers.
The second complication being called out with the Panerai Luminor BiTempo is the power-reserve indicator, here tracking the 3-day (72-hour) maximum power reserve enabled by the twin barrels in the movement, as well as the the 4 Hz beat rate. Finally, you’ve got the date display at the 3 o’clock position. Wrap all of this up in a 300m WR rated case, and you’ve got a watch that should be ready for wherever you’re headed.
The new Panerai Luminor BiTempo is available in two dial colors (black or blue) with a color-matched alligator strap. If you’ll want to pick one up, you’ll need to have $10,000 sitting in the ol’ bank account. panerai.com
Tech Specs from Panerai
- Movement: Automatic mechanical, P.9012 calibre, 133?4 lignes, 6.0mm thick, 31 jewels, GlucydurTM balance 28,800 alternations/ hour. IncablocTM anti-shock device. Two barrels, seconds reset device, 231 components
- Functions: Hours, Minutes, Small seconds, Power reserve, GMT 12 hours, stop seconds reset device
- Power Reserve: Three days
- Case: 44mm brushed steel, polished bezel, see-through sapphire crystal caseback. Safety Lock crown protection device in brushed steel. Sapphire crystal formed of corundum
- Dial: Blue sun-brushed or Black with luminous Arabic numerals and hour markers. Date at 3 o’clock and small seconds at 9 o’clock, power reserve indicator at 5 o’clock
- Strap: Alligator dark blue or black, T/T, STD, 24/22, BA. Trapezoidal brushed steel buckle
Water-Resistance: 30 bar (~300 meters)