At first glance, you may not notice a whole lot that different about the recently-announced Panerai Platinumtech Luminor Marina. So, what do you think – is it just a new dial color? Something with the strap? No, friends, the answer is hiding in the name.
Rather than relying on stainless steel for the case, the Panerai Platinumtech Luminor Marina is relying on platinum. Some way or another, they’ve managed to harden the alloy that they used, resulting in a very tough – and highly polished – case, bezel, and crown-locking mechanism. So, why play with this metal now? The Luminor line just celebrated its 70th anniversary, so that’s why.
To continue pulling on that 70 theme, only 70 pieces of the Panerai Platinumtech Luminor Marina will be made. On top of that, the watch carries something I’ve not seen before – a 70 year guarantee. More than a warranty, it’s actually covering maintenance and servicing to keep the watch running for the next 70 years. Just so you don’t forget, it’s actually shown on the caseback as well.
Which, when you’re dropping $36,900 on a watch, it’s good to know that you don’t have to worry about the maintenance. Particularly when it’s a watch that you’ll very well be passing on down to your kids. While we tend to celebrate stainless steel as the journeyman material for watches, the use of platinum here allows luxury to hide – quite literally – in plain sight. panerai.com
Tech Specs from Panerai
- MOVEMENT: Mechanical automatic, Caliber P.9010, 133?4 lignes, 6mm thick, 200 components, 31 jewels, 28,800 vibrations / hour, GlucydurTM balance wheel, IncablocTM shockproof device, two barrels. Made entirely by Panerai.
- FUNCTIONS: Hours, minutes, small seconds, date.
- POWER RESERVE: Three days.
- Polished Platinumtech, diameter 44mm, thickness 13.4mm.
- Polished Platinumtech bezel.
- Safety Lock crown protection device (protected by trademark), lever and crown in brushed Platinumtech.
- Sapphire crystal.
- Twelve-sided screwed caseback in brushed Platinumtech, sapphire crystal porthole with the “70 Years Warranty” logo applied by a metallization process.
- Olive green with satiné soleil decoration, sandwich structure, with Arabic numerals and indexes in beige Super-LumiNovaTM with green luminescence.
- Seconds at 9 o’clock, date at 3 o’clock.
- Panerai logo.
- STRAP: Alligator leather in dark brown with ecru stitching, with brushed Platinumtech trapezoidal pin buckle. Additional strap selected at the request of the customer at the time of purchase in the boutique.
- WATER RESISTANCE: 5 bar (~50 meters).
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team