When June 1 rolls around, we know to look out for a new special edition watch from Oris. It was on June 1, 1904 in the town of Hölstein that Oris first came into being. Now, 118 years down the road, they’ve got a vast catalog of designs to reinterpret for the new era. For the Oris Hölstein Edition 2022, you’ll be surprised what slice of time it represents.
That’s because the Oris Hölstein Edition 2022 hails from the relatively recent 1998, when the Oris Full Steel was introduced. This is a steel sports watch, sure, but with a trick up it’s sleeve. You see, it’s a world timer. The subdial at 3 o’clock shows your home time, and the pushers that flank the lower lug allow you to adjust the main hour hand backwards or forwards an hour when you hit your new time zone.
It’s a rather unique look, and though it’s a relatively “new” historical design for Oris, we’re happy to see something like this one come back in the form of the Oris Hölstein Edition 2022. Just like the original, it’s powered by the Oris 690 movement, and it is still house in a compact 36.5mm case.
For this revival, just 250 pieces of the Oris Hölstein Edition 2022 are being made. If you want to pick one up in a wooden case that flies the Oris Bear, you’ll need to put $4,300 (CHF 4,000) down on the virtual barrel to make it yours. Virtual? Yes – this is an e-commerce exclusive, and you won’t see it in your local boutique. oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case: Multi-piece stainless steel case
- Size :36.50 mm (1.437 inches)
- Dial: Blue
- Luminous material: Indices, numbers and hands with Super-LumiNova®
- Top glass: Sapphire, flat, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back: Stainless steel, screwed, special engravings
- Operating devices: Stainless steel screw-in security crown and pushers
- Bracelet: Multi-piece stainless steel metal bracelet with folding clasp
- Water resistance: 5 bar
- Number: Oris 690
- Functions: Centre hands for hours and minutes with forward or backward one-hour setting device, small seconds at 9 o’clock, date at 6 o’clock, home time hour and minute hands with day/night indicator at 3 o’clock, instantaneous date, date corrector, fine timing device and stop-second
- Winding: Automatic winding, bi-directionally rotating red rotor
- Power reserve 38 hours
- Limited edition: 250 pieces, each watch is delivered in a special wooden presentation box
- Swiss retail price: CHF 4,000
- Available: June 2022