Not all that long ago, just the other week, in fact, we were mentioning Projects Watches in another writeup that was talking about a watch that focused on a new, funkier sort of design-driven watch. This time around, we’ve got an industrial designer and architect (both from Spain) powering up the Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon.
To say that Alvaro Alvarez and Maria Lopez have designed a watch that pulls it’s cues from an airplane is a rather dramatic understatement. To start with, the central seconds hand calls to mind a compass, while the outer hour and minute hands (discs, actually, with indicators) look like gauge displays. Then, on the whole, the watch itself presents as a horizon indicator – you know, how far over one way or the other a plane is banking. It’s a bit more subtle, but it’s a clever way to sneak in some aviation cues.
Powered by a Miyota 2036 quartz movement, the Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon has a 40mm case and has either a leather strap (in two colors) or a stainless steel mesh bracelet, both in 20mm widths. Wrapping it all up, there is a 5 ATM water resistance rating, so it’s not a watch for swimming, but it’ll of course stand up to the splashes life throws it’s way.
The Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon will be available the second week of October, with pricing expected to be $145 on leather, or $165 on steel. That’s what I call affordable, for a watch that’s as unique as it is legible. projectswatches.com
- Brand & Model: Projects Watches Beyond the Horizon
- Price: $145 – $165
- Who we think it might be for: You like aviation, but you’re not looking for something that is a typical pilot’s watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen? No, I’m not really the target market for this one.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Hmm. Why not have the central seconds be an actual compass?
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: While I may not wear them, I can certainly get behind the idea of these half-hidden sorts of dials.
Tech Specs from Projects Watches
- Black IP Stainless Steel Case
- 40mm Diameter
- 20mm Black Leather Band
- 20mm Brown Leather Band
- 20mm Black Stainless Steel Mesh Band
- Miyota 2036 Movement
- 5 ATM