If you’re not familiar with Oris, you really owe it to yourself to check them out. The consistently develop solid designs, creating mechanical watches that fly under the radar for most people, while offering quite a bit for the money you’re putting down. While recent designs – particularly their divers – have been shrinking, their latest goes in a much bigger direction. Meet the Oris Aquis Small Second Date 45.5 mm watch.
As you can surmise from that name, this newest Oris Aquis comes in a very hefty 45.5mm. This is definitely a watch that will show up on the wrist, and have no problem telling you the time. When we get these larger designs, it’s generally just the case and the dial that get hit with the enlarging ray, while the movement stays it’s prior size. This becomes most evident by just how far in-board a date window will appear.
On the Oris Aquis Small Second Date 45.5 mm, this actually works in it’s favor. Yes, the date and the small seconds sub-dial are set further in. What this allows, however, is for full-size markers at the hours, all the way around the dial. This allows for some nice symmetry around the edge of the dial; unfortunately, that’s not followed by the placement of the sub-dial (which smushes into the free space), with a large open swatch until you get over to the date window.
So, aesthetically, I’m not sold on this particular design. If you’ve been holding out for an even larger Oris, though, I guess your ship has just arrived. As an added bonus, you’re also picking up a 500m WR rating (rather than their more usual 300m). The Oris Aquis Small Second Date 45.5 mm watch is available as of today for $2,700 on the strap or $2,900 on a bracelet. oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Material Multi-piece stainless steel case, ceramic bezel insert
- Size 45.50 mm, 1.791 inches
- Top glass Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti- reflective coating inside
- Case back Stainless steel, screwed, special engravings
- Operating devices Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Water resistance 50 bar (500 m)
- Interhorn width 24 mm
- Number Oris 743
- Dimensions Ø 25.60 mm, 11 1/2’’’
- Functions Centre hands for hours, minutes and seconds, date, fine timing device and stop-second Winding Automatic
- Power reserve 41 hours
- Vibrations 4 Hz (28’800 A/h)
- Jewels 26
- Design Blue dial
- Luminous material Super-LumiNova® Indices Applied
- Bracelet/strap Multi-piece stainless steel metal bracelet with folding clasp with extension. Also available on a blue rubber strap with stainless steel security folding clasp with extension
- Availability June 2023
- Retail price $2,700 (rubber strap) / $2,900 (steel bracelet)