Ever since I first handled a ceramic Rado, I was sold on the idea of what they were doing with the material, particularly where they’ve been able to do some deep single-tone integrations, making for a watch that looks quite unlike anything else. Now, they’re doing even more, throwing in some bright pops of color with the Rado True Square Thinline Les Couleurs Le Corbusier collection.
Le Corbusier was one of the most inspiring of all modern architects and designers. His work is considered groundbreaking, innovative, and highly influential in the fields of architecture, design, and urban planning.
Born in the heart of Swiss watchmaking country in 1887, he was a visionary architect who played a crucial role in shaping the modernist movement in the 20th century. But he is also fondly remembered for his transcendent theory of colour which, in time, led to the development of an enduring Architectural Polychromy.
So, you’ve got a Swiss architect with some very specific ideas about color, and now we’ve got Rado incorporating those very specific colors into their ceramics. Two of them look sort of what we’re used to seeing from the brand, but the really striking one has what they call a greyed English green, but looks turquoise to us. Whatever you call it, it’s a striking contrast to the grey of the dial, while the other two releases are a bit more subtle.
Whichever colorway strikes you, only 999 of each are being produced. The two-tone models are going to be $2,400, while the all-black model comes in at $2,200. Check out the full collection directly over at rado.com
Tech Specs from Rado
- Movement: Rado calibre R420, quartz, 13 jewels, 2 hands
- Flat sapphire crystal
- Titanium case back with digital printing on sapphire crystal: Le Corbusier colour stripe, Le Corbusier POLYCHROMIE ARCHITECTURALE and LIMITED EDITION ONE OUT OF 999
- Water-resistant to 3 bar (30m)
- Matt high-tech ceramic case and crown, monobloc construction
- Dial: Sun brushed tone-on-tone with the case, indexes and Rado logo printed in the colour of the bracelet middle links
- Hands: Colour of the bracelet middle links
- Matt high-tech ceramic
- PVD coated titanium 3-fold clasp
- Dimensions: 37.0 x 43.3 x 5.0 (WxLxH in mm)
Watch the video version of this post here:
A big data developer and leader with a penchant for gadgets, books, watches and beverages. You can find my work on WristWatchReview. If you’re on Twitter and/or Instagram, you’ll find me there as @PatrickWatches.