When you see the words “Annual Edition” on a watch release, you can immediately assume two things. First, this is a release we see each year, with some variation. Secondly, this is a limited-edition release. So, if the Glashütte Original Sixties Chronograph Annual Edition is catching your eye, you’ll want to move quickly.
Whether or not you find yourself as a fan of chronographs (in general), there’s no denying the unique style that the Glashütte Original Sixties lineup offers. Here, the simple crown and pushers look just right on the 42mm case, and the subdials are pleasingly large on the main dial. And while we’re primarily in tones of grey and silver with the watch, you’ve got the the handset and indices done up in red gold, which gives a bright pop of light that fits the look of the watch.
While the Glashütte Original Sixties Chronograph Annual Edition looks vintage, it’s definitely a thoroughly modern watch. On the dial (and hands) you’ve got modern Super-Luminova helping with timekeeping in the dark, and inside the case you’ve got the automatic Calibre 39-34, with all the goodness that modern materials offer in a movement these days.
Rather than going with a leather strap for the Glashütte Original Sixties Chronograph Annual Edition, they’ve instead gone with a synthetic textile strap, done here in a very dark blue. It’s not a bad strap, per se, I’m just not convinced how well it works for the watch. Then again, swapping that out is a simple thing to do. Whatever your opinions on the strap are, you can pick one up for $8,700 at your local boutique. For more info, head on over to glashuette-original.com
- Model name: Sixties Chronograph Annual Edition 2023
- Reference number: 1-39-34-06-22-04 (Synthetic strap blue, pin buckle)
- Movement: Automatic movement Calibre 39-34, finely finished
- Functions: Hour, minute (centre), small second (off-centre), second stop, chronograph with stop-second (central) and 30-minute counter
- Frequency: 28,800 A/h, equivalent to 4 Hz
- Balance: Balance wheel with three arms
- Balance spring: Anachron
- Shock protection: Incabloc
- Case: Stainless steel
- Dimensions: Diameter: 42 mm
- Lug-to-Lug: 48.5 mm
- Water resistance: 3 bar
- Dial Grey/black varnish with dégradé effect, historic embossing, white Arabic numerals and lettering, incised hour markers and Super-LumiNova® dots
- Dial blank material: Bronze
- Hands: Rod-shaped, PVD red gold 5N, hour/minute with Super-LumiNova® inlays
- Glass: Sapphire crystal, anti-reflective on both sides
- Case back: Sapphire crystal
- Strap: Dark blue synthetic strap with pin buckle